[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, October 28th

Heather A McDermott heatherm at exch.ucr.edu
Fri Oct 21 08:22:12 PDT 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D8D4EC.CA1F9F30]

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Quantum Simulation of Lattice Gauge Theory with Rydberg Atoms

Dr. Yannick Meurice

University of Iowa
Abstract: We introduce tensor lattice field theory as a method to discretize the path-integral formulations of lattice models suitable for quantum computing. The individual tensors appear as the local building blocks of the reformulation. They contain all the information about the model and its symmetries. Using the transfer matrix formalism, we introduce the Hilbert space and truncations that respect the symmetries. We present a quantum Hamiltonian for scalar electrodynamics in one and two spatial dimensions where the electric field Hilbert space is approximated by a spin-1 triplet.  We discuss quantum simulators for this model obtained by assembling arrays of Rydberg atoms with ladder structures.

Thursday, October 28, 2022

3:40 PM in Winston Chung Hall (Room 138)

Coffee will be served at 3:10 PM in the Barkas Lounge (3049 Physics)

Heather McDermott
Travel & Events Coordinator
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
UC Riverside