[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), November (Fri) at 4 pm: Wei-Cheng, Virtual

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Wed Nov 2 09:13:00 PDT 2022

Hi Physics and Astronomy Grads,

We are happy to have *Wei-Cheng Liao* (Condensed Matter Experiment, PI:
Jing Shi) give us a student seminar talk on Friday (11/4) at 4 pm via Zoom
(link below).

Wei-Cheng is a 4th year PhD candidate, who just passed his qualifying exam
(congrats!). He is the first condensed-matter experiment student to come to
PASS to give a talk! Please come and ask questions. :)

*Title: Layer dependence of magneto-transport properties of 2D vdW
ferromagnets Fe5Ge2Te2 and Fe3GeTe2*

*Abstract: Two-dimensional (2D) metallic ferromagnets, including Fe5Ge2Te2
(FG2T) and Fe3GeTe2 (FGT), exhibit a variety of fascinating physical
properties that have attracted a lot of attention in the spintronics
community. We have fabricated FG2T and FGT nanodevices with a range of
thicknesses down to monolayers by exfoliating flakes from crystals grown by
solid-state reaction. By performing transport measurements at different
temperatures with the external field oriented out-of-plane, we obtained the
longitudinal resistivity, anomalous Hall resistivity, Curie temperature,
and Kondo temperature for all devices. Discussions of the transport data
will be presented.*

*Friday, Nov 4, 2022, at 4 pm*
*Virtual via Zoom:*
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99275176238?pwd=bGxBK0NVbnh3RlZ1VHIvakh4SG5Hdz09
(Room ID: 992 7517 6238, Password: 1216)

Below is our schedule for Fall 2022:

11/4:   *Wei-Cheng Liao* (UCR, Condensed Matter Experiment, PI: Jing Shi):
Virtual
11/11: *Robert Dawson* (UCR, Condensed Matter Theory, PI: Aji Vivek)
11/18: *Wenjun Chang* (UCR, Astrophysics, PI: Gillian Wilson)
11/25: Holiday
12/2:   TBA
12/9:   *Mehrdad Phoroutan Mehr* (UCR, High-Energy Theory, PI: Hai-Bo Yu):
In-Person

You can always find information about PASS on our website:
https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars
If you want to recommend speakers, use this spreadsheet [PASS
Recommendations
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Y7qZKoB8Qzy44ZukZWKcU_nF9U6MnLAIOj51bEcVP4/edit#gid=0>
].

Look forward to seeing you on Friday!