[Physics-grads-open] (Topic changed!) Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), June 6th at 4 pm, Phys 3027

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 6 11:19:00 PDT 2022

Hi all,

*The original speaker couldn't make it for today.* Alternatively, I will
give a short talk on my research to finish this quarter's PASS seminar
series.

After the talk, we will have a short organizing meeting to discuss how to
improve future PASS. We will also discuss how to carry out the summer PASS
session.

*Title: Bayesian models for finding DLAs and measuring quasar redshifts
using Gaussian processes*

Ming-Feng Ho (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract:* Part I: We present a machine learning model for automating the
detection of damped Lyman alpha absorbers (DLAs) in quasar spectra. Our
model is based on Gaussian processes with a tailored covariance function
learned from data. We train our model on SDSS DR9 and validate it on SDSS
DR12 with ~96% accuracy. The same model is re-trained on SDSS DR12 and
provides a DLA catalog for SDSS DR16 with posterior samples for each
spectrum.

Part II: We demonstrate a probabilistic framework for finding DLAs with
unknown quasar redshifts. Our redshift model is an extension of our
previous DLA model with known quasar redshifts. We show that the extended
model can simultaneously marginalize DLA detection and quasar estimation
with a small decrease in accuracy. The extended model can also be used as a
quasar redshift estimator.

Monday, June 6, 2022 at 4 pm
Physics 3027 (Nebula Room)

To submit abstracts for Summer Quarter: [Abstract Submission
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/registration/index.html>].

Best,
Ming-Feng