[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS) tomorrow, July 13th at 4 pm, Phys 3027

Yongda Zhu yongda.zhu at email.ucr.edu
Tue Jul 12 13:14:55 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Liz (4th year PhD student in John Barton's group) will give a talk
on SARS-Cov-2 sequence data this Wednesday. Please come and ask questions
if you're interested!

*Title: Back projection methods for the refinement of SARS-Cov-2 sequence
data*

Liz Finney (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract:* As the SARS-CoV-2 virus continues to evolve, viral sequencing
data has extensively been used to identify novel genome mutations. Reliable
genomic surveillance data is needed in order to investigate viral variants,
but important epidemiological features are either absent from the data, or
inherently un-observable.
In this talk I will explain how we apply a deconvolution method from
epidemiology, known as back-projection, to these missing data problems that
arise in our SARS-Cov-2 selection model. This approach can improve the
quality of data in regions where sampling is rare or infrequent, and aid in
the detection of Covid-19 variants of concern.

*Date and time:* July 13th at 4 pm, Phys 3027

Please check our program here: [Program
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/program/index.html>].
To submit abstracts: [Abstract Submission
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/registration/index.html>].

Thanks,
Yongda

--