[Physics-grads-announce] Reducing Rodent Intrusions in Physics

Robert N Sanderson robert.sanderson at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:55:09 PDT 2023

Hello Physics Graduate Students,

As you are likely aware, the physics building has a recurring rodent problem. This problem is likely to become more severe as the weather warms and animals are driven indoors to seek shelter, water, and food.

A representative from EH&S inspected the physics building, and gave the following recommendations:

To help eliminate rodent infestations, please share with your building occupants the following:

  *   Refrain from leaving any food or drinks overnight in any of the classrooms, office spaces, or desk drawers.
  *   Dispose of all food or drinks in trash receptacles.
  *   Empty all trash receptacles at the end of each day.
  *   Clean and sanitize all desks before and after eating/drinking.
  *   If bringing food into any of the spaces during the day, place all food and beverage items in a glass or steel container.
  *   If anyone see any new droppings or rodent activity, please submit a safety concern<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1YBlstrVO7GmNsV> to EH&S.

Additionally, please continue to report cases of animal intrusion to me so I can report the issues to Facilities Services. Let's work together to discourage rodents from taking up residence in our buildings.

Thank you,

Robert Sanderson, PhD
Building Manager
Lab Tech Manager
Physics & Astronomy Department
900 University Ave, Physics Bldg, RM 2004
Riverside, CA 92521
Zoom Personal Link:  https://ucr.zoom.us/my/robertsanderson
Office: (951) 827-5637
[https://brand.ucr.edu/sites/default/files/email-signature-download.png]

________________________________
Thank you for taking the time to meet with me this morning and show me around.

To help eliminate rodent infestations, please share with your building occupants the following:

  *   Refrain from leaving any food or drinks overnight in any of the classrooms, office spaces, or desk drawers.
  *   Dispose of all food or drinks in trash receptacles.
  *   Empty all trash receptacles at the end of each day.
  *   Clean and sanitize all desks before and after eating/drinking.
  *   If bringing food into any of the spaces during the day, place all food and beverage items in a glass or steel container.
  *   If anyone see any new droppings or rodent activity, please submit a safety concern<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1YBlstrVO7GmNsV> to EH&S.

EH&S will work with Facilities Services to seal any holes or gaps, and to clean any existing droppings that were observed during the walkthrough.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Tiffany

Tiffany Kwok, MPA, REHS

Assistant Director, Research Safety
Environmental Health and Safety | University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521

Office: (951) 827-4244 | https://ehs.ucr.edu/

[customer service signature image]<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bgbyYMVNTOtXyhD>