[Physics-grads-announce] Mentorship Survey - Please respond.

Vivek Aji vivekj at ucr.edu
Tue Sep 20 16:24:42 PDT 2022

Hello Physics & Astro Grad Students,

Hope you all are faring well and enjoying the last few days before classes start! We're excited to announce the continuation of the Faculty–Grad Student Mentorship Workshop and introduce Grad Student Peer Mentorship programming!  To that end, we ask that you fill out the survey below.

To introduce myself briefly — I'm Katy Rodriguez Wimberly, an NSF Math & Physics Sciences Ascend Postdoctoral Fellow <https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/mathematical-and-physical-sciences-ascending-postdoctoral-research> working with Prof. Laura Sales. In addition to my Near Field Cosmology research, and as part of my fellowship, I am working with Prof. Gaby Canalizo and the Mentorship Committee to bring more faculy–led mentorship and peer mentorship activities to the department. While I was a grad student at UCI, I co–created an award winning (and now externally funded) peer mentorship program, PACE <https://uci-pace.github.io/>. I now also serve as Director of Peer Mentorship for the Cal–Bridge Scholarship program and have recently submitted my first paper dedicated to a relationship–centered mentorship model <https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.03395>. I'm really excited to work with you all and the faculty to improve your grad experiences and successes through mentorship!

It is of the utmost importance that these mentorship activities be tailored to you. With that, please complete this evaluation and interest survey <https://forms.gle/8KVjFCmARVQxMu8H7> at your earliest convenience or no later than September 30th.

Your responses to this survey are confidential. I (Katy) alone will access the responses. Your responses to the evaluation questions will be completely anonymized and aggregated prior to being shown to any faculty or staff within the department. Any identifying information you provide related to planning for future mentoring activities will be used solely for that purpose. We appreciate your candid feedback.

Many thanks,
Katy Rodriguez Wimberly (with Gaby Canalizo)

Ascend: https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/mathematical-and-physical-sciences-ascending-postdoctoral-research  <https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/mathematical-and-physical-sciences-ascending-postdoctoral-research>
PACE: https://uci-pace.github.io/ <https://uci-pace.github.io/>
Relationship-Centered Mentorship Model Paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.03395 <https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.03395>
Survey: https://forms.gle/8KVjFCmARVQxMu8H7 <https://forms.gle/8KVjFCmARVQxMu8H7>