[Physics-grads-announce] Meeting with Colloquium speaker on Thursday Feb 17th

Vivek Aji vivekj at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:27:06 PST 2022

Dear Graduate students,

The colloquium speaker this week is Dr. Jairo Velasco Jr. Jairo received his PhD from UCR in 2012. Dr. Peng Wei, the colloquium organizer, has reserved Physics room 3027 from 1-2:30 pm for meeting with graduate students. Please stop by if you would like to chat with him.

Vivek Aji
Professor & Graduate Advisor
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California Riverside
Riverside CA 92521

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Imaging Atomically Thin Quantum Material Devices at the Nanoscale

Dr. Jairo Velasco Jr.

UC Santa Cruz

Abstract: The harnessing and manipulation of electronic states in quantum materials has the potential to revolutionize computation, sensing, storage, and communications, thus impacting multiple facets of our everyday lives. In this talk I will discuss my group’s recent experiments with Bernal stacked bilayer graphene (BLG) and trilayer graphene (TLG), highly versatile carbon-based quantum materials with electronic properties that are promising for quantum information processing. Specifically, I will focus on two sets of experiments that utilize confinement, nanoscale visualization, and spectroscopy to reveal new properties of the surface states hosted by BLG and TLG electronic devices. In one experiment, we use the scanning tunneling microscope to corral electrons in BLG and then visualize the wavefunctions and quantum interference of the confined electrons. In a second experiment, we use atomically resolved point spectroscopy to measure a giant and tunable magnetic moment for the electrons in TLG devices. The results from these experiments advance fundamental understanding of carbon-based quantum material devices towards their use for quantum information processing.

Biography: Jairo Velasco Jr. is an Associate Professor of Physics at the University of California Santa Cruz. His research interests include the study of electronic properties and structure of 2D materials. He received his PhD in physics from the University of California Riverside in 2012. He was then a University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Physics at the University of California Berkeley from 2012-2015. Dr. Velasco is also a recipient of the NSF early CAREER award.