[Physics-grads-announce] Spring quarter town hall/alumni panel and climate survey

Jory Yarmoff yarmoff at ucr.edu
Mon May 17 08:58:43 PDT 2021

Dear Physics & Astronomy graduate students,

We are planning for the Spring quarter town hall to be held on Thursday, May 27th at 5 pm (after colloquium).  The Zoom link will be:  https://ucr.zoom.us/j/92180343326 <https://ucr.zoom.us/j/92180343326>.

I am sorry that it took awhile to settle on the date, but we wanted to do something special and we’ve just been able to confirm participants to serve on an alumni panel for the meeting.  This will involve some of our Ph.D. alumni presenting short talks about their careers, how they got there, why they made the decisions they did, etc.  The intent is to provide you will some outside perspective as you plan your own future careers.  After their presentations, you will be free to ask them questions.  The panel will consist of a diverse set of alumni that have taken different career paths, and I expect that you will find it interesting and informative.

After the alumni panel and your questions to and discussions with them conclude, we will open the floor for questions to any of us on other topics.

Also, we are about finished preparing the departmental climate survey, and expect to deploy it before the end of the quarter.  It was written by collaboration between the diversity and graduate advisory committees, and we are looking forward to getting your input through this anonymous survey.  We will then hold a special town hall during the summer over Zoom to present and discuss the results.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 27th,
Jory
Jory A. Yarmoff, Professor and Graduate Advisor
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA  92521  USA

Office: (951) 827-5336, Lab: (951) 827-3537, FAX: (951) 827-4529
e-mail:  yarmoff at ucr.edu <mailto: yarmoff at ucr.edu>, web site: http://physics.ucr.edu <http://physics.ucr.edu/>