[Physics-grads-announce] Fwd: Physics & Astro Climate Survey, UCR Funding, PADGSA Elections, and more

Jory Yarmoff yarmoff at ucr.edu
Thu Jun 3 17:13:16 PDT 2021

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Gburek <timothy.gburek at email.ucr.edu>
Subject: Physics & Astro Climate Survey, UCR Funding, PADGSA Elections, and more
Date: June 4, 2021 at 12:02:53 AM PDT

Hi everyone!

This is Tim Gburek (6th year astro grad student) again from the Physics & Astronomy Departmental Graduate Student Association (PADGSA) reaching out again.  I hope you are all doing well especially with workloads that tend to increase at the end of any quarter!  I am writing to give some reminders and brief announcements.

1.  Physics & Astronomy Climate Survey  https://forms.gle/bYFnPZm39u7WvZ5M8 <https://forms.gle/bYFnPZm39u7WvZ5M8> :  If you have not, please fill out the departmental climate survey!  It is completely anonymous (with options to not respond to the broad demographics questions as well) and is a big step toward addressing problematic issues you see within the department.  The deadline is tomorrow, June 4th.  Also be aware that "1" corresponds to "Strongly agree," and "5" corresponds to "Strongly disagree."

2.  11% Proposed Budget Cut to UCR:  Despite California proposing more funding for the UC system, the Regents have proposed cutting UCR's budget by 11%, disproportionate to other UC campuses.  This will have negative effects on graduate students and TAs as well as faculty and undergraduate students.  UCR already has the highest student-to-faculty ratio and lowest funding per student.  Sign this petition to oppose this 11% budget cut.  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScr2MHEEh_ZpGUSxkmBpe5P6MdlcA50bRcgKICCIyfJxxLQfA/viewform <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScr2MHEEh_ZpGUSxkmBpe5P6MdlcA50bRcgKICCIyfJxxLQfA/viewform>
Signatures are scheduled to be delivered this coming Monday.  Undergraduates (and faculty) can also sign this petition, so if you are a TA, attached are a few slides (created by the Anthropology department) you can show your students to inform them of the situation (or further inform yourself).

3.  PADGSA Elections:  As mentioned before, the Physics & Astronomy Departmental GSA will very soon (likely within 2-3 weeks) have our elections for our officer positions:  President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Public Relations, Recruitment Chair.  If you are interested in running for any of these positions or want more information on the positions / the GSA, feel free to reach out to me at timothy.gburek - at - email.ucr.edu <http://email.ucr.edu/>.

4.  R'Grad Professional Pathways: Summer 2021 Workshop Series:  UCR Career Center and GradSuccess are hosting a 6 week (Wednesdays 1 - 2:30pm) workshop series from July 7 to August 11 designed to help prepare graduate students for the job hunt, particularly if you are looking for a career outside of academia.  More information can be found here, and the deadline to apply is June 13 at 11:59pm  https://gsrc.ucr.edu/rgrad-workshops <https://gsrc.ucr.edu/rgrad-workshops>

Hang in there everyone!

Cheers,

Tim Gburek
PhD Candidate in Astronomy
President of the PADGSA
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA, 92521 USA

 <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>	Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link> <x-msg://87/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>