[Orgvpdue] FW: Carnegie Community Engagement Classification

Louie F Rodriguez louie.rodriguez at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:49:46 PST 2024

Dear UE Colleagues,

Happy New Year and welcome to the Winter quarter!

It is always good to return to campus with good news.  See message below from Chancellor Wilcox.  Several of our UE colleagues were involved in this effort over the last couple of years.  FYI.

Best,
Louie

Dear colleagues,

Today, the American Council on Education and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching will announce that UC Riverside has received the 2024 Carnegie Elective Classification for Community Engagement. This is another step toward meeting the objectives in our strategic plan and expanding the visibility and scope of influence of UCR locally, nationally, and globally. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do to elevate community engaged research, learning and service at UCR.

The decision letter notes: “Your institution’s application documented excellent alignment among campus mission, culture, leadership, resources, and practices that support dynamic and noteworthy community engagement. It responded to the classification framework with both descriptions and examples of exemplary institutionalized practices of community engagement.”

We know through our self-study process that there is still great work ahead of us to lean into this recognition and continue our forward momentum to improved our community engagement work as a campus. We appreciate the work of the Carnegie Community Engagement Advisory Committee, who worked together over the last two years to establish an operational definition of UCR community engaged research, learning and service as work that:

  *   establishes and sustains mutually beneficial, respectful, and sustained collaboration that creates a sense of collective ownership and reciprocal value for the campus (including students, faculty and staff) and community partners,
  *   enriches the scholarship of the institution by accessing community cultural wealth and expertise,
  *   addresses community-identified needs and enhances community well-being, and
  *   deepens students' civic and academic learning, and promotes connections between these through opportunities for critical reflection.

Their recommendations for continued growth include:

  *   Increase the number and quality of community engaged learning opportunities
  *   Reduce barriers to participation in community engaged research, learning and service
  *   Improve assessment of community partnership experiences
  *   Better recognize faculty contributions to community engagement
  *   Better communicate with our partners across the region

Please feel free to share this email and the other press releases that will be coming through UCR and national channels.

Thanks especially to Brian Haynes for chairing the advisory committee and to Beth Claassen Thrush for spearheading the effort.

Kim