[Orgvpdue] Message to UE from the VPDUE

Robert Ream robert.ream at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 19 18:51:46 PST 2023

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
________________________________
From: Orgvpdue <orgvpdue-bounces at lists.ucr.edu> on behalf of Louie F Rodriguez <louie.rodriguez at ucr.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2023 4:49:38 PM
To: orgvpdue at lists.ucr.edu <orgvpdue at lists.ucr.edu>
Subject: [Orgvpdue] Message to UE from the VPDUE

Dear UE Colleagues,

This time of the year typically prompts me to reflect on the year and express gratitude for the people I work with and the work I am called to do every day.  The reason why UCR remains a special place continues to be the people who serve our students and the student population we all serve.  Like I said before, when I endeavor to serve UCR students, I am often looking into the mirror.  I am serving myself.  I am serving my community.  I am drawing on the strengths in students’ backpacks.  I am serving our future, not just across the region, but across the state and country as well.  We are doing work that not only aspires to cultivate innovative opportunities for transformative student success, but we are also transforming our communities and society through the work we do in UE.

I know many of you share these sentiments and prove this in your work every single day for and with our students.  While there are always challenges, my why never wavers, and in fact becomes emboldened as we close out one year and welcome a new one—2024.  As I look ahead to 2024, I am envisioning even more focus on the following (to name a few):

•       Continuing our work on assessment. We will collectively build upon the three workshops many of us attended and work toward developing a data-informed unit that focuses on UE’s strategic goals.  Next steps will follow in January;

•       We will expand/build more pipeline programs that help UCR students take advantage of the many high impact practices we offer across UE;

•       We will more explicitly build upon UE mentoring efforts like Campus Collective, across campus;

•       We will expand programs like Excel+ to reach larger numbers of students across campus;

•       We will center student input to inform future UE programming around student success;

•       We will have more opportunities to intentionally tell our story and describe our contributions to UCR student success;

•       We will create opportunities to build community with one another across UE;

In the context of a new year, I am optimistic about the future and I look forward to working with you.  I hope you are able to enjoy the curtailment break and get some well-deserved time to rest, restore, and spend time with your loved ones.  I am looking forward to spending time with family and enjoying meals with my daughter who returned home from college on Sunday. I also hope to build a more consistent exercise schedule, watch my kids play sports, and enjoy some good food with family.

I wish you and your loved ones a safe and healthy new year!

Best,

Louie

Louie F. Rodriguez

Vice Provost and Dean