[Office-of-research] Continuing Problems with Grants.gov Jeopardize UCR's Proposals

Mitch Boretz mitch at engr.ucr.edu
Fri Mar 6 08:32:33 PST 2009

I agree that this is an issue, but I think don't necessarily agree with Bruce's interpretation of UCR's policy with respect to the solution.

It has always been understood that the three-day and seven-day lead times refer to the time that OR needs to perform its administrative review - not to the time that OR needs to submit the proposal after having completed its review. I am skeptical that we can have every proposal ready to submit three days ahead of the deadline, and I am skeptical that OR is equipped to submit all proposals three days ahead of the deadline even if they are ready to go.

A more realistic approach might be to have everything ready for submission at least 24 hours before the deadline. This should give OR time to submit proposals before traffic jams hit, and to get case numbers well before the deadline if there are problems. It should be reasonably easy to enforce with the PIs, too, since this was the norm when we had to allow time to print and ship proposals on paper.

We also need to ask OR to re-evaluate how it schedules staff on big deadline days. For example, if there is a Grants.gov deadline of noon California time on a Monday, it might be necessary to have someone available over the weekend to submit proposals when traffic will be low.

* * * * *
Mitch Boretz
Bourns College of Engineering, UC Riverside
951-827-7069
mitch at engr.ucr.edu