[Office-of-research] NIH Salary Rate Cap Increases

Bruce Morgan bruce.morgan at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 22 21:05:35 PST 2008

Effective Jan. 1, the NIH salary rate cap increased to $191,300 from
$186,600.  The NIH has issued a notice that provides information regarding
how the salary rate cap impacts NIH awards and provides guidance for
proposing personnel costs for those individuals with salaries in excess of
the cap.  It also includes background information and examples on
implementing the salary limitation.

As further explained in the notice, the NIH salary rate cap is legislatively
mandated.  For Federal FY 2008, the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008
(Pub. L. No. 110-161) restricts the rate of direct salary that may be
charged to NIH awards (including contracts) to Executive Level I of the
Federal Executive Pay scale.  This eighth year that the salary rate cap has
been tied to the Executive Level I pay rate.  Congress has also legislated a
salary rate cap for NIH awards since 1990.

For additional information regarding the salary rate cap, please review the
NIH notice at
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-08-035.html
<http://www.magnetmail1.net/ls.cfm?r=23558148&sid=3330127&m=419931&u=Atlanti
c2&s=http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-08-035.html> .