[med-health-careers] School Supply Drive for Children - UCR Global Medical Brigades

Medical & Health Careers Program med-health-careers at lists.ucr.edu
Fri Apr 2 16:34:52 PDT 2010

BLOSSOMS OF PROMISE FOR EDUCATION SCHOOL SUPPLY DRIVE FOR CHILDREN OF
HONDURAS

Dear Students,

This June, Global Medical Brigades at University of California Riverside
will be traveling to Honduras to provide relief through medical care, public
health, and education.  We will spend a week traveling to underserved, rural
areas around the city of Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras, building
stoves, floors, latrines, and setting up temporary clinics where people can
come and receive medical treatment free of charge.

Honduras is one of the poorest countries in Latin America with 53% of the
population living in poverty.  Disease and malnutrition are the leading
causes of death in children under 5 years old. The basic needs of education,
health care, and clean water are luxuries for the majority of the people
there, and in the rural communities where we will be working, they are even
scarcer.  We are entering an era where the community is global, and as
global citizens, we must do our part to contribute what we can in helping
those in need.

This year, Global Medical Brigades at UC Riverside has made it a special
project to support the children of Pajarillos, a small rural village of
approximately 300 hundred people located in the mountains of El Paraíso.
Last summer we had the opportunity to go into the homes of these families
and build stoves, latrines, cement floors, pilas (containers for sanitary
water treatment) and most importantly establish relationships with them.  We
came to learn that the village has a school, but many children are unable to
attend because they can’t afford school supplies.  Without the opportunity
to attend school, these children’s dreams for the future are limited to the
poverty that surrounds them.

This year, we are looking for any school supplies including notebooks,
pencils, paper, crayons, markers, etc. that can be donated so these children
can go back to school and have a glimpse of hope for their future.  Without
education and literacy, they may never know if their dreams of tomorrow
could come true.

The bins will be located in the following office locations:  MHCP (Medical
and Health Careers Program), ASPB (Associated Students Program Board),
HONORS, MSP (Medical Scholars Program), Chicano Student Programs.

We truly appreciate your time and consideration and hope you will join us in
our efforts to bring hope into the lives these children.  Your contribution
will be a greatly valued gift to the people in Honduras.

Sincerely,

Nicole Tarui

President of Global Medical Brigades at UC Riverside

THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST MATERIALS TO BE COLLECTED FOR SCHOOL KIDS IN
PAJARILLOS

Mochila (backpack)

Uniforme (Uniform)

Tenis (Tennis shoes)

Pegamento (Glue)

Reglas (Rulers)

Lápices grafito, tintas (Pencils, pens)

Marcadores (Markers)

Borradores (Erasers)

Sacapuntas (Pencil sharpener)

Plastilina (Clay)

Papel construcción (Construction paper)

Legos (Blocks)

Rompe cabezas (Puzzles)

Tijeras (Scissors)

Maskin tape (Masking tape)

Libretas de dibujo (Drawing books)

Libretas para tareas (Composition notebook)

Crayolas

Papel bom (Wide-ruled paper)

ALBERT T. CHEVEZ, Ed.M., Director

MEDICAL AND HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM

College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences

Pierce Hall 1106

951-827-7968

951-827-4510 fax

Aesclepius-new-2009-(wMHCP)2