[IIGBCORES_All] Holiday Closure

Matthew Collin matthew.collin at ucr.edu
Wed Dec 16 12:45:49 PST 2020

*IMPORTANT!!              IMPORTANT!            IMPORTANT!!*

*All IIGB central facilities will be closed for the holidays from Saturday
Dec 19th until Monday Jan 4th.*

*T**he following services within the Genomics Core will be unavailable
during this break:*

*1. Sanger DNA sequencing *- *Please note that samples received by 4PM
Thursday Dec 17th will be posted before we close for the break. *Samples
received after this time cannot be guaranteed to be posted via R’Drive link
before the break begins. Any samples not posted before the break will be
processed upon re-opening on the 4th.

*2. Illumina DNA sequencing services –* We cannot guarantee that all
NextSeq or MiSeq samples will be processed prior to the break. Last year we
received a *large* number of both MiSeq and NextSeq samples within the two
weeks leading up to the break. We did our best and managed to get most of
them processed and posted, even working into the holiday. PLEASE plan ahead
and submit samples as soon as possible. Remember it takes time to QC and
quantify the libraries before sequencing, and it can take several days of
processing for data to be posted. Please feel free to stop by the Genomics
Core and discuss your timeline and how that fits into the queue for the
desired sequencer.

*3.* *Bioanalyzer and Fragment Analyzer services*-these services will be
processed on a first come, first serve basis up until we leave for break on
the 18th.

*Points to keep in mind:*

*1. Please plan your experiments accordingly. *This is a nearly two-week
break.

*2. Access*. Those with key fobs to the instrumentation labs will have
access to instruments (qPCR, Typhoon, Nanodrop, Qubit, plate readers, Blue
Pippen, Covaris, Bioruptor, microscopes) during this time. As always,
reserve or log your time on-line prior to instrument (we do monitor user
logs).

*3. Covaris.* The instrument will be accessible during the break, but
please follow the proper shut down procedures as posted. *Remember to
obtain your tubes before the break.*

*3. Please be sure your key fob is current.* If you have not used it in
some time, please check it. If in doubt, ask Jennifer or Aimee (room 1206,
1st floor of Genomics Building), so that you are not locked out during the
break.

*4. Security*. We cannot emphasize strongly enough that our security system
has two key components: Security zones with individual key fobs and YOU.
Security during the break is everyone's responsibility. *Please never prop
open external or internal doors or leave them ajar. NEVER admit anyone who
does not have a fob. NEVER admit anyone who you do not recognize!*  Think
of the impact on your research and that of your colleagues if we were
vandalized or there was a major theft.

*Thank you for all your support and have the very best holiday ever! *

--
Matthew Collin
Dynamic Genome Project Scientist