[IIGB_All] FW: Interested in opportunities in at a seed company? Informational meeting with Jonathan Kressin (East-West Seeds) tomorrow!

Benjamin K Terao benjamin.terao at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 11 09:42:26 PDT 2023

From: Botanyemail <botanyemail-bounces at lists.ucr.edu> On Behalf Of Jackelyn R Quinonez
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2023 9:37 AM
Subject: [Botanyemail] Interested in opportunities in at a seed company? Informational meeting with Jonathan Kressin (East-West Seeds) tomorrow!

Greetings All,

Check out this great opportunity that Tim Close set up for UCR trainees and students to learn more about opportunities in plant biotech, modern ag, and farmer education - happening this week!

Jonathan Kressin, PhD, will be in Keen Hall Rm 2018 from 11-12:30 on Thursday, October 11 for a discussion about career, internship, and research collaboration opportunities with East-West Seeds. There will be an introductory presentation about East-West, followed by an open discussion time. There are additional opportunities for discussions on Thursday and Friday afternoons, per request.

East-West Seed is one of the leading vegetable seed companies in the tropics (www.eastwestseed.com<http://www.eastwestseed.com/>). We are focused on both modern breeding methods and farmer education. East-West is a mission-oriented company working to improve the lives of especially small-holder farmers, which are the majority of farmers in the tropics. Recently, our founder Mr. Simon Groot was awarded the World Food Prize in 2019, and East-West dominantes the periodic Access to Seeds Index rankings put out by the Gates Foundation.

We have 20 R&D centers across 9 countries (Thailand, Philippines, India, Indonesia, Tanzania, Benin, Guatemala, Brazil, and the US). And we sell varieties in 80 crops to 23 million farmers. Our top 10 crops include bitter gourd/melon, onion, tomato, yardlong bean, hot pepper, and corn (sweet and waxy types). On a day-to-day basis, we develop high-quality genomic resources, practice marker-assisted selection, and work on the discovery of added-value traits through gene mapping, wild species introgressions, TILLING, etc. We also explore and adapt proven technologies to our germplasm development pipeline, like genomic selection, automated image analysis, light-based sensor phenotyping, and doubled-haploid technology. We have large breeding, pathology, and biotech departments, as well as cell-biology.

R&D at East-West is growing, and we are always looking for new talent in a variety of disciplines. Our SEED international internship program is designed to give students an on-the ground experience in a modern seed company, as well as highlight the unique opportunities and challenges of tropical agriculture. This is typically geared for recently completed bachelor degrees, and MS and PhD students in the middle of their programs.

If you can’t make time to attend this week’s meeting, please reach out to Jonathan Kressin, jonathan.kressin at eastwestseed.com<mailto:jonathan.kressin at eastwestseed.com>, for more information.

Jaimie

Jaimie M. Van Norman, Ph.D. ▪ Associate Professor ▪ Center for Plant Cell Biology ▪ Department of Botany & Plant Sciences ▪ University of California, Riverside ▪ 4202A Genomics ▪ Lab: (951) 827-2133, Office: (951) 827-2134 ▪ FAX: (951) 827-5155