[IIGB_All] SoCal science

Katayoon Dehesh katayoon.dehesh at ucr.edu
Wed Aug 3 10:33:59 PDT 2022

Dear all,
I am sending this email to Botany and Plant Science department as well as to IIGB to ensure inclusion of colleagues who work on plant related subjects but are not associated with BPS department.

Together with Yunde Zhao and Maarten Chrispeels, our colleagues at UCSD, we have discussed ways to revitalize the one day SoCal plant biology gatherings for networking amongst all, with a special focus on strengthening the connection among the graduate students and postdocs.
 To enhance inclusivity, we have also gathered a list of SoCal state colleges and their plant biology faculty that we will be contacting.

To initiate the activity, we thought it might be better to hold the first meeting at UCSD, this year, as they have the infra structure. If the meeting promises success, we will arrange a two-day meeting in UCR in 2023.  For this meeting we/I will write an NSF grant with the hope of attracting funds to support it.  We will also ask each of the participating institutions for help using their internal funds.   After discussing the idea with various colleagues from the state colleges and talking to an NSF officer attending the ASPB meeting in Portland, I am very optimistic in our ability to successfully attract funds needed to support an annual SoCal retreat.

We will proceed depending on your interest and availability.  Please share your thoughts and let me know if attending the first meeting sometime in Oct/Nov fits your schedule.

Be powerful
Katie

Katayoon (Katie) Dehesh
Director, Institute for Integrative Genome Biology, Distinguished Professor
Ernst and Helen Leibacher Endowed Chair in Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California, Riverside, CA 92521
Phone: (951) 827-6370;  Fax: (951) 827-5155