[IIGB_All] Today at Noon: Plants3D/CEPCEB Seminar: Benedetto Marelli - Friday 10/8/2021

IIGBadmin iigbadmin at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:39:08 PDT 2021

You must pre-register for this event.

Please join the FIRST webinar on October 8. The ZOOM Registration Link is HERE<https://ucr.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tJBuns67STO5mNY0R4Axlw>.

[image.png]

1st Webinar - Growing Silk for Agrofood Resilience - Friday, October 8, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 12:50 p.m.

Guest Speaker: Benedetto Marelli<https://cee.mit.edu/people_individual/benedetto-marelli/>, Paul M. Cook Career Development Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA
In this seminar, we discuss the engineering of natural polymers in advanced materials that can be interfaced with food and plants. With a focus on silk, we will present newly developed techniques to direct the assembly of structural proteins in nanostructured materials that can serve as: edible coatings to prolong the shelf-life of perishable food, microenvironments to boost seed germination under abiotic stressors, and microneedles to deliver active payloads in plants and sense food spoilage.
This webinar event is co-hosted with UCR Plants3D NRT and Center for Plant Cell Biology.
Department Seminar Organizer: Dr. Julia Bailey-Serres, Distinguished Professor and Geneticist, Botany and Plant Sciences; Director of Center for Plant Cell Biology and Plants 3D NRT program, UCR.

[CAFÉ's Seminar Series (3).png]