[Hrtrainingnews] Professional Development Monthly – Summer Edition 2022

Hrtrainingcontacts hrtrainingcontacts at ucr.edu
Tue May 31 11:42:17 PDT 2022

[Professional Development Monthly Banner  UC Riverside Employee and Organizational Development Achieving Results Building Relationships Creating the Future]<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development>

Summer 2022

[Fire icon in orange]
Headline News

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Welcome to the Summer Edition!

This year we are including all our news for June, July, and August in a single edition. The next edition of the Professional Development Monthly will be coming to your inbox in September. Think of it as the Professional Development Quarterly...just this once.

Want to take advantage of the slower pace of summer to invest in your professional development? Here are some of our favorite resources:

·    UC People Management Certificate<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development/leadership-skills-development/people-management-certificate> — can be completed entirely online or blended with local instructor-led courses.

·    Transferable Skills Library<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development/transferable-skills-library> — strengthen skills aligned to the UC Core Competency model

·    LinkedIn Learning Collections<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/search?contentBy=urn%3Ali%3AenterpriseAccount%3A26135898&entityType=COLLECTION&u=26135898> — curated by our team just for you

·    EOD Course Catalog<https://hr.ucr.edu/document/eod-course-catalog> — watch for FY23 updates coming in July

[Image of wood tile pieces with person icon in black lined up in a row with one piece being picked up and its icon is orange.]

Call for Applications:
Building Core Supervisory Competencies

Applications Due: August 5, 2022

Program accepting applications for the 2022-23 cohort. The Building Core Supervisory Competencies program emphasizes participation and practice of supervisory skills through the use of self-assessment inventories, case studies, homework assignments, and small group exercises. For details see the BCSC website<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development/leadership-skills-development/building-core-supervisory-competencies>.

[Lecturer icon in green]
Featured Courses

[Group of professionally dressed office staff in a circle joining hands in a group high five]

Coaching for Results

June 7 or July 12

Consistent coaching and feedback allow you to connect with employees and increase their productivity, job satisfaction, and engagement. Effective feedback and coaching by leaders will help the organization achieve its goals and priorities. Discover how to empower your team members by holding a coaching mindset while giving effective feedback and using active listening techniques. Register in the UC Learning Center<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D408810%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

[The arms of two people sitting at a table talking. Paper, pen, and glasses on the table between them.]

How to Make Feedback Work for you

June 28 or July 19

We all listen, we do it every day; but how good are we at it? Do we listen to reply or to understand? Do we listen with awareness? How can we encompass the art of listening in our everyday lives? The better we listen, the better we can receive and give feedback to better our performance. Register in the UC Learning Center<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D410712%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

[White text on blue background reads Understanding the Performance Development Process]

Understanding the Performance Development Process — Recording Available

For Performance Appraisal Pilot Project<https://hr.ucr.edu/performance-appraisal-pilot-project> participants. This course provides step-by-step instructions on how to participate in the Performance Development Program. Both supervisors and non-supervisors will gain an understanding of their role in the process through a thorough review of each element of the program. Watch in the UC Learning Center.<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D513814%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

[Monthly calendar icon in blue]
Upcoming Classes

EOD Programs

Course

Date(s)

Cost*

Coaching for Results

Discover how to empower your team members by holding a coaching mindset while giving effective feedback and using active listening techniques.

Registration Deadline: 3 Days Before Start Date

6/7/22

7/12/22

None

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D408810%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Delegation Skills

Exercises and assessments help you evaluate your current skills, easily identify the problems, and quickly find solutions. Discover how to develop your employees’ potential while getting the job done.

Registration Deadline: June 4, 2022

6/7/22

None

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D30353%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Franklin Covey's
6 Critical Practices for Leading a Team

This workshop will equip you with the skills and tools you need to be an even better leader and manager of your team.

Registration Deadline: July 19, 2022

7/26 – 7/28/22

$192*

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D338076%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Franklin Covey's
7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Achieve greater productivity, improved communication, strengthened relationships, increased influence, and laser-like focus on critical priorities.

Registration Deadline: July 19, 2022

8/9 – 8/11/22

$193*

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D200917%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Franklin Covey's
Leading at the Speed of Trust

Trust has been identified as the most critical competency for today's leaders. Learn how to develop, restore, and extend trust with the team you lead.

Registration Deadline: August 2, 2022

8/23 – 8/25/22

$193*

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D316522%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

How to Make Feedback Work for You

We all listen, we do it every day; but how good are we at it? Do we listen to reply or to understand? Do we listen with awareness? How can we encompass the art of listening in our everyday lives?

Registration Deadline: 3 Days Before Start Date

6/28/22

7/19/22

None

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D410712%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Successfully Supervising Students

Do you supervise student employees? Are you considering hiring student employees in your department? Then this class is for you! This workshop will provide strategies relating to scheduling, giving effective feedback, and making your department student-friendly.

Registration Deadline: June 18, 2022

6/21/22

None

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D63544%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

*FY22 prices, subject to change with FY23 budget process.

Note: a late session admission, 30 minutes after the course has begun, will not be given course credit and may incur program/no-show fees.

ComPsych Personal Development/Work-Life Workshops

Our partnership with ComPsych enables us to offer learning and personal enrichment opportunities throughout the year. The following workshops are offered at no cost.

Workshop Topic

Date

Time

Overcoming Your Distorted Negative Thinking

6/16/22

1 – 2 PM

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D501663%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

The Impact of Attitude on Work and Life

7/14/22

1 – 2 PM

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D501949%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Responding to Behavior That Makes You Feel Uncomfortable

8/18/22

1 – 2 PM

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D501958%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

FSAP Orientation Session

Date

Time

Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) Orientation

6/1/22

11AM – 12PM

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D411904%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) Manager/Supervisor Orientation

6/2/22

11AM – 12PM

Register<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D411908%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

If you missed FSAP Orientation, be sure to view the recorded sessions in the UC Learning Center:

·    FSAP Orientation<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D433635%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

·    FSAP Manager/Supervisor Orientation<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D433636%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

[Newspaper icon in gray]
News

UC Learning Center Corner
Log in at https://ucrlearning.ucr.edu/

Travel & Entertainment Card Training

This training is required for potential cardholders and is highly recommended for the financial officers who oversee card transactions. If you plan to travel or entertain on behalf of UC Riverside, you should apply for a Travel & Entertainment Card as soon as you complete this training. Find this course in the UCLC<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D514602%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

Research Security

Overview of research security topics, including disclosures, talent recruitment programs, international collaborations, and data security. Find this course in the UCLC<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D510622%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

Keeping Your Higher Education Program Safe

Specifically designed for youth-serving higher education programs, this course teaches learners about appropriate boundaries, how to navigate high-risk situations, and best practices for responding and reporting inappropriate behavior and abuse. Find this course in the UCLC<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D513835%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

Keeping Your Day Camp Safe

Day camp can be a wonderful experience for kids. They make new friends, learn new skills, and increase their self-confidence. But not if they are abused at camp by a counselor or by another peer. This course shows you where and when abuse is most likely to happen in a day camp setting and steps you can take to keep kids at day camp safe. Find this course in the UCLC.<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D286941%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

Keeping Your Overnight Camp Safe

Camping can be a wonderful experience for kids. They make new friends, learn new skills, and increase their self-confidence. But not if they are abused at camp by a counselor or by another peer. This course shows you where and when abuse is most likely to happen in a camp setting and steps you can take to keep kids at camp safe. Find this course in the UCLC<https://uc.sumtotal.host/Core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=core%2Factivitydetails%2FViewActivityDetails%3FActivityId%3D286940%26UserMode%3D0>.

Abuse Prevention (Minors) for Volunteers

Overview of abuse prevention information for university volunteers. Topics include review of reporting expectations, recognizing conduct that must be reported, how to report, and using support strategies. Find this course in the UCLC<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2fmanagement%2fLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3fActivityId%3d-514413%26UserMode%3d0&domain=14>.

[Megaphone icon in gold]
Campus Spotlight

UCR Travel & Expense

June 1 or June 3

Highly recommended for Travel Arrangers. Faculty and staff who travel or book business travel can further their understanding of pre-trip authorization, booking travel via Concur Travel and Expense, paying with the Travel & Entertainment Card, and how to take advantage of mobile tools. Additionally, this course provides an overview of UC travel policy and the trip reconciliation procedure, including summarized guidelines and on-demand resources. Faculty and staff will learn about the Concur Travel and Expense processes for reporting travel expenses on a Travel Expense Report. It is recommended that you attend this course before your travel trip concludes. Register in the UC Learning Center.<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D514136%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>

Concur Travel Booking & Agent Services

June 14 or June 16

Highly recommended for Travel Arrangers. Anthony Travel is UC Riverside’s preferred Travel Management Company (TMC), specializing in university business travel, athletic department travel, and study abroad programs. This course is a Concur Travel booking deep-dive, including how to use the online booking tool, best practices for optimizing searches, system rules, group and international travel, and self-service vs. agent services. Register in the UC Learning Center<https://uc.sumtotal.host/core/pillarRedirect?relyingParty=LM&url=app%2Fmanagement%2FLMS_ActDetails.aspx%3FActivityId%3D514237%26UserMode%3D0&domain=14>.

Associate Chancellor Staff Scholarship:
Now Accepting Applications for Fall 2022

Eligibility: To be considered, applicants must be a UC Riverside career staff member (at least half-time) who is pursuing a UCR degree in any discipline, with a preference for those pursuing a graduate degree. Applicants must also note the commitment of a mentor who will assist with achieving outcomes reported in the application. To track progress on outcomes reported, applicants selected for the scholarship must offer a progress report by the following deadlines: December 31, 2022 and June 30, 2023.

Deadline: To receive consideration, please submit your application by June 24 at 4:59 PM. Please note that your mentor will also be notified of your application.

Submit Your Application Online<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eth3pR5nGkmzi8m>

Lunch and Learn — Excel Helpful Hints and Hacks

Wednesday 6/22/22, 12:00 – 1:00 PM

Please join Staff Assembly<https://staffassembly.ucr.edu/> for our one-hour lunch and learn with Scott Biggerstaff from Central HR, Compensation. Scott will be guiding us through Excel fundamentals, hacks, and helpful hints. This course will be great for excel users of all levels! Register Online<https://ucr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwkde-vqzgtHNQLQMBKXWa2JlytTFzDZBti>

Upcoming Staff Assembly Events

·    Coffee & Donuts will be held on June 2 and June 16 from 8AM – 10AM at the entrance to Hinderaker

·    The last Highlander’s with Cubs<https://events.ucr.edu/event/highlanders_with_cubs_7784?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=UC+Riverside> of the 21-22 year is on June 2

·    Staff Pantry<https://events.ucr.edu/event/ucr_staff_pantry_4276#.Yo0OTJPMIjg> is on June 8

·    Bingo<https://events.ucr.edu/event/ucr_staff_assembly_virtual_bingo?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=UC+Riverside#.Yo0MY5PMIjg> is on June 17

·    Staff Scholars<https://events.ucr.edu/event/ucr_staff_scholars?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=UC+Riverside#.Yo0Ma5PMIjg> and Get Recognized Awards<https://events.ucr.edu/event/get_recognized_awards_1053?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=UC+Riverside#.Yo0MbpPMIjg> are both on June 23

·    The Outstanding Staff Awards reception will be held on June 29 from 4PM – 6PM at the Chancellor’s Residence

·    Lunch & Learn: Navigating Social Media & Staying Connected to UCR<https://events.ucr.edu/event/lunch_and_learn_social-media?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=UC+Riverside#.Yo0MapPMIjg> is on July 20

Follow R’LEAD Meeting

Wednesday 6/15/22, 1:00 – 2:30 PM

Hello UCR community! Join LEAD<https://lead.ucr.edu/#no-back> at our final Follow R'Lead Meeting of the 2021-2022 academic year. At this online meeting we will be having the 2021-2022 LEAD Certificate Program present their capstone project to campus Register Online <https://ucr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYoc-ChrD4oHNVrh0_FNcVx1_rbCNDQ5PYI>

Health Net Webinar: Nutrition Tips to Increase Metabolism

June 15, 2022, 12:00 – 12:45 PM

Good nutrition and any type of exercise can help you add more energy to your day. Whether you want to shed pounds, maintain a healthy weight or just feel more vibrant, there are ways to do this through an active metabolism. Health Net<https://uc.healthnetcalifornia.com/> is offering a webinar to provide tips on how to take care of yourself and build resilience. Register Online<https://centene.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sM0FuBFiQvmdR-jyj5K3iw>

[Marker]
Remote/Hybrid
Resource Center

Working Remotely Resources

As work schedules will continue to include hybrid/remote options across the UCR campus in 2022, we want to help faculty and staff be prepared to be able to work in whatever hybrid/remote option is chosen. Employee and Organizational Development (EOD) would like to invite you to learn about remote work learning resources available to UCR faculty and staff. For more information, please visit the Employee and Organizational Development webpage<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development>.

Helpful UCR Links

·    Return to Campus<https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/>

·    Daily Wellness Check Survey<https://ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus/symptoms-tool>

·    Face Covering Policy<https://humanresources.ucr.edu/ucr-face-covering-policy>

·    Return-to-Work Parking Information<https://transportation.ucr.edu/rtw>

·    Remote Work /Telecommuting Agreement<https://heretohelp.ucr.edu/document/work-life-form-telecommuting-agreement>

·    Coronavirus (COVID-19)<https://hr.ucr.edu/front/coronavirus-covid-19-hr-information-and-resources>

COVID-19 HR Information and Resources

Review the following LinkedIn Learning topics:

·    What's Next – Reinventing Work in the New Norma<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/what-s-next-reinventing-work-in-the-new-normal/what-s-next-managing-flexibly-with-remote-hybrid-teams>l

·    Change Management Foundations<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/change-management-foundations-10041380/change-management-foundations-course-overview?autoAdvance=true&autoSkip=false&autoplay=true&resume=true&u=26135898>

·    Managing Organizational Change for Managers<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/managing-organizational-change-for-managers/welcome?autoAdvance=true&autoSkip=false&autoplay=true&resume=true&u=26135898>

·    Change Management Tips for Individuals<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/change-management-tips-for-individuals/change-is-inevitable?autoAdvance=true&autoSkip=false&autoplay=true&resume=true&u=26135898>

·    Improve Your Hybrid Workforce Skills<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/paths/improve-your-hybrid-workforce-skills?shareId=726240f4-4e0c-4f9c-aea7-3999c8b931a4&accountId=26135898&u=26135898&success=true&authUUID=32vXJF3cQsSnsBVTHNg7Vw%3D%3D>

·    Supporting Your Team as Offices Reopen<https://www.linkedin.com/learning/paths/supporting-your-team-as-offices-reopen?shareId=f9237c05-0f96-47d1-9d77-1f91dba7cb57&accountId=26135898&u=26135898&success=true&authUUID=UE9FsAXFSc2BzkAt74MUIQ%3D%3D>

[InLearning Logo. White text on medium blue background.]Need training now? Visit LinkedIn Learning, via R’Space<https://portal.ucr.edu/>, to take advantage of UCR curated collections.

Questions? Please contact EOD at HRTrainingContacts at ucr.edu<mailto:HRTrainingContacts at ucr.edu>.

Visit the Professional Development Monthly online<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-and-organizational-development/professional-development-monthly> for past issues.