[GSAUCR] Please read-I really do know how busy everyone is, but it's important

President Gsaucr president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:17:11 PDT 2012

Hey everyone, I know this list doesn't reach as many graduate students as I
would like, but for those of you who have subscribed please get the word
out or better yet, consider applying for a position in the GSA.

I have had the opportunity to talk with many graduate students and have
heard everything from how terrible the GSA is to voices of appreciation for
conference or travel support.

This association is far from perfect (what large organization is..), but it
is a SMALL (less than 10) group of graduate students doing the best we can
to be the voice of 2,500. For most of us, our two-years are about to expire
and so far 4 students have stepped up to apply.

YOU can be the difference.
*Run for PR* and throw a grad bash or two or put some coffee out for
students during finals. Email Stephanie (*sfous001 at ucr.edu*) and ask her
about the experience.
*Run for GSHIP* and learn about our insurance. We need someone sitting at
the table for those conversations. Email James (*jwong032 at ucr.edu*) and
find out what he enjoyed and didn't like about being GSHIP officer
*Run for Finance* and be able to gain valuable experience managing a
substantial budget (100K+) Laura is running for the office again, but you
can still run. Email her at *laura.borg at email.com* for more details.
*Run for EVP *and get a chance to travel to all the UCs. Board meetings
take place on the weekends/Friday evenings so you wouldn't miss class or
lab time. This is an absolutely fascinating look into our university
system. Email Adam (*aboot002 at ucr.edu*) for details.
*Run for VPAA* and interact with students from AGSM to GSOE. Help groups of
students get funding. Ask Aaron (*ajone003 at ucr.edu)* the pros and cons of
the position.
*Run for President* and learn about it ALL! You interact with leaders from
all levels of the institution. Email me and I will tell you why I love it,
but I'll also give you the cons too.
It takes little effort or time to run: send me a paragraph that you want
other grad students to read on the ballot and that's it. A little effort
can make a HUGE difference for ALL grad students.

Thank you for reading this lengthy email, I hope to hear from many of you
soon!

Rachel

--
President  Graduate Student Association 2011-2012
PhD Candidate GSOE