[GSAUCR] VOTING IS ESSENTIAL

President Gsaucr president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:36:46 PDT 2012

following mailing list posting:

   List:    GSAUCR at lists.ucr.edu
   From:    ajone003 at ucr.edu
   Subject: VOTING IS ESSENTIAL
   Reason:  Post to moderated list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aaron Jones <vpaa.gsa at ucr.edu>
To: gsaucr at lists.ucr.edu
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:19:32 -0700
Hello Graduate Students of UCR,

I want to take this time to clarify statements issued in my candidate
statement. I stated that I wanted to, "inspire the apathetic and help
students to understand that their voice of graduate students need to be
heard at all levels of administration." No where in that statement does it
say that all graduate students are apathetic but we know that some are
either unaware or simply do not care about campus politics. I want them to
join GSA's ranks by attending Council meetings, Forums, and Office hours to
voice their opinions and whether it be in person to administration via the
conduit of THEIR GSA officers because it is here where many decisions are
made.

What inspired that statement was the 9% voting rate of the 2011 elections
which included a referendum to increase support to Conference Travel
Grants.  I know a large number of you need more support and care a great
deal about how your GSA & Student Services Funds are spent but 9% is
unacceptable in my eyes. GSA works hard for all of you but now you have to
work hard for yourselves. You don't have to prove me wrong, you must prove
yourselves RIGHT. I want to see 20% and beyond!

VOTE!!!!!!

Come to the Belltower today from 2-4pm to vote for whatever candidate you
wish.

*****GSA does shall take no official stance on any ballot issue or support
any particular candidate or group of candidates. To that end, the GSA shall
spend no money in support or opposition of any particular candidate or
ballot issue.  GSA funds shall be used exclusively for the printing and
distribution of recruitment materials, objective announcements providing
impartial information about the upcoming vote, and election ballots.********

--
Aaron D. Jones
Vice President, Academic Affairs