[GSAUCR] GSHIP Plan 2010-2011

jknap002 at student.ucr.edu jknap002 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Jun 15 16:28:34 PDT 2010

Dear Graduate Students,

On behalf of GSA Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) Committee
I would like to communicate the final out come of the negotiations for this
campus’ GSHIP plan for 2010-11. (For those of you who know about plans for a
UC system-wide graduate student health care plan, UCR did not opt to join that
plan for the 2010-11.)

The GSHIP committee with the help of the Campus Health Center worked very
hard this year in controlling costs.  This was an unusual year in which a large
amount of small claims- such as an increase in the usage of mental health
services due to added stress levels- drove the overall cost of the plan up by 6%.
In light of this we are especially proud that we were able to maintain the same
amount of coverage and that the administration accepted our request for the
addition a few new benefits. Specifically, those new or expanded benefits are:

1. You can now go to any of the other UC’s campus health centers and your
treatment will be covered the same as it would be here at UCR.

2. Mental health parity for all mental health conditions (mental health coverage
for all mental health conditions not just the “big ones”).

3. Increase the number of mental health visits per day from (1) per day to (2) per
day.

4. Prorated insurance for international students arriving in the US before the
start of school.

5. Campus Health Center/ Express scripts will provide 90 days worth of oral
contraceptives (negating the need to visit the CHC 3x per quarter for birth
control).

6. Provide graduate continuation coverage – allows a student to purchase
insurance for up to 90 days past graduation or termination of their status as a
graduate student.

Lastly, we are proud to announce that the insurance carrier has cut dependent
coverage by about 60% making it much more affordable for students to cover
their families.

The GSHIP committee would like to send out a special thank you to Debra
McCoy, the director of the Campus Health Center. Her hard work and dedication
this year really helped graduate students get the best available health care at
the most affordable cost.

Sincerely,
Joshua A. Knapp – GSHIP Committee Chair