[GSAUCR] Welcome Back Announcements

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:06:20 PDT 2009

Graduate Student Community,

First let me say welcome back for the new school year. I Hope you were
all able to find the balance of down time and productivity you were
looking for over the summer. However, with school just around the
corner I do have a couple of announcements to pass on.

Most importantly, GSA has a plethora of committee appointments to
make. There is a list below, but my guess is that there is a committee
that deals with most any issue you are interested in; everything from
issues at the core of the academy (like academic freedom and
integrity) to fun extras (like the student rec center and planning
social events.) I think that this is a particularly important year to
be involved as the impacts of the budget shortfall begin to really
make themselves felt here at UCR. Graduate student voices will be key
in maintaining service critical to our community and, frankly, finding
smarter ways to make cuts when they must be made. A typical committee
meets for an hour or two once a month or so; they are generally
relatively small and the other members are reasonable people so I
suspect that you may have more of an impact than you might think. (And
don’t forget a committee membership is a good addition to your vita.)

Mark your calendars for our first GSA Council meeting is October 7th
at 6pm in HUB 355.

Also, our first Grad Bash is on October 15 at 6pm at the Getaway Cafe.

As always, if you plan on applying for a Conference Travel Grant check
our website for the most up to date information on amounts and
deadlines.

Hope your fall quarter starts off well.

Take care,

Gary Coyne

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu

--------

List of Committees

First, the UCR standing committees. Almost all of these have one spot
available for graduate students (a few have two).

WASC Institutional Capacity Committee
WASC Educational Effectiveness Committee
Campus Board of Review
Commencement Committee
CHASS Executive Committee
Student Commons Facility Governing Board
Registration Fee Advisory Committee
Graduate Student Conduct Committee
Student Housing Planning Committee
Parking Advisory Committee
Campus Safety Committee (CSC)
Research Integrated Safety Committee (RISC)
Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability (CCS)
Recreation Facility Advisory Board
LGBT Advisory Committee
Academic Computing & Informational Technology
Academic Freedom
Courses Committee
Distinguished Teaching
Diversity & Equal Opportunity
Educational Policy
Faculty Welfare
International Education
Library & Scholarly Communication
University Extension
Student Entertainment District Steering Committee

Second, there are a handful of committees that have been convened this
year to deal with strategic planning issues. They will ultimately set
the Universities long-term strategic plan. All have will have one
graduate student.

Research Excellence
Excellence in Graduate Education
Resources, Budget Planning and Infrastructure
Advancement
Campus Climate
Community Engagement

Finally, the GSA Committees. They are made up entire of graduate
students and ideally have five members; we could do with four or could
accommodate a few extras if needed.

Rules and Bylaws Committee
Elections Committee
Event and Clubs Allocations Committee
Graduate Seminar Series Committee
Conference Travel Grant Committee
Party Committee
International Student Concerns Committee