[GSAUCR] NewsWire 3/4/09

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:32:46 PST 2009

Fellow Graduate Students,

         Get involved:

1)   GSA Council Meeting

2)   GSA Conference Travel Grant Survey

3)   Get Involved in the Community

4)   Chancellors Inauguration: Living the Promise

GSA Council Meeting, *TODAY* Wednesday 3/4/09

Our final council meeting of the quarter will be held Today Wednesday March
4th at 6pm in Commons 355.  We have several important announcements and a
funding request presentation.  The meeting will be President Cortez’s last
meeting of the year.

Women’s Basketball vs UCSB, *Tomorrow *3/5/09

Come cheer own our Women’s Bball as they take UCSB in a battle for a Big
West title at 7pm in the Student Rec Center.  What is more, there will be
giveaways….For you graduate students: save your ticket stub to enter a
drawing for a free ipod at the end of the season.  *LETS PACK THE HOUSE,
WHO’S SIDE? R’SIDE!!!!*

GSA Conference Travel Grant Survey

Our Conference Travel Grant Committee has issued a short survey that you
should have received in your email.  Please take the time to complete it,
here is the link to the survey in case you have deleted our previous email:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=81_2bBX1sbFa5FKLzb6K1MTQ_3d_3d

Get Involved in the Community

We would really love to have some members of the UCR Graduate Student
Association participate as judges in the Corona-Norco Science and
Engineering Fair.  The judging takes place at Norco High School on Saturday,
March 7, 2009 from 7:00-11:30am.  You can contact Sarah Ryan (AAO GSOE) at
sarah.ryan at email.ucr.edu and she can put you in touch with the fair
coordinator.

The Copernicus Project is proud to announce its family education initiative,
"CoperniKids' Families for Success". The family workshops take place at the
César Chavez Community Center-Main Auditorium located at 2060 University
Ave. Riverside, CA  92501 from 6:00-8:00 pm on alternating Monday nights.

The purpose of the program is to empower families from the Inland Empire
with the resources and knowledge to support their student(s) on the road to
college, as well as offer opportunities for students interested in
engineering, science and mathematics.  If you are interested in
participating either as a volunteer or as a university and/or community
expert please contact Kenisha Williams (kenisha.williams at ucr.edu). Upcoming
sessions are on March 9, March 23, April 27, May 11 and June 1.

Chancellor’s Inauguration: Living the Promise 3/17/09

Please join us for the inauguration of Timothy P. White as eighth Chancellor
of the University of California, Riverside.  Our Chancellor wishes this
event to be about the campus, not so much about himself.  The theme for the
event is Living the Promise, we hope to see you there. The event will begin
at the Student Recreation Center at 10 am on March 17th 2009.  Please save
the date and plan to join us at this celebratory occasion.  There will be a
Reception at 11:45 am providing *FREE FOOD* for all who attend.  Stay tuned
as there will be a series of campus wide festivities leading up the big
event.

I have a few more weeks left in office so be sure to contact me if you have
any questions, suggestions, comments, or concerns and I will be sure to act
on them or pass them on for the rest of the board.  I strongly urge you all
to get involved.  Join us on our virtual community on Facebook.  Hope to see
you soon!

Always at your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus