[GSAUCR] GSA Welcomes NewsWire

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:06:36 PDT 2008

My fellow Grads,

       Your Graduate Student Association welcomes you to the 2008-2009
Academic year.   In this newswire you will find information about the
following:

1)   Block Party

2)   Council Meeting

3)   Academic Affairs Officer Opening

4)   The GSA Graduate Community on Facebook

Block Party, Friday 9/26/08 4:30pm-10:30pm

Don't miss out on the 10th Annual Block Party happening on the lawns near
the belltower.  In addition to the free concert and the beergarden, there
will be both game- and food- booths.  For more details, please visit the
event site http://www.blockparty.ucr.edu  GSA will be hosting a karaoke
booth, come join us!

Council Meeting, Wednesday 10/8/08 6pm

Come join us for our first council meeting of the 2008-2009 Academic
year.  Location
is TBA, the agenda and officer reports will be posted on our website
www.gsa.ucr.edu by October 1st.  Stay tuned.  If you are your miniGSA
representative be sure to come!!!

AAO Openings, *DEADLINE* 10/15/08

The Academic Affairs Officer for each college/school will assist the Vice
President of Academic Affairs in meeting regularly with departmental GSA's.
They will also meet, along with the VP of Academic Affairs, with the Dean of
the college or school they represent to foster communication between the
students and the administration. They also serve as non-voting
representatives to the Executive Board and when necessary (and if possible)
on the search committee for the Dean of the college/school. They will sit on
a joint academic advisory committee for the VP academic Affairs that will
meet once a month. Lastly they are required to sit on one GSA committee
subject to the approval of the Graduate Student Council.  The colleges and
schools that require representation are: The Bourns College of Engineering,
College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, School of Education, Anderson
Graduate School of Management, and the Division of Biomedical Sciences.
Please apply for one position in your corresponding college by sending a CV
and Cover letter stating why you want to position to tony.yang at email.ucr.edu

The GSA Graduate Community on Facebook

If you are interested in joining our growing Facebook group, look for us
under "Graduate Student Association" and feel free to add yourself.  This is
the unofficial site for our graduate community.

At your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly" -
Anonymus