[Gsaucr] GSA Newsletter

GSA Public Relations gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:29:09 PDT 2008

Dear Grads,

The GSA would like to wish everyone good luck during finals week and we hope
you have a fantastic spring break!

In this week's newsletter, you'll find information regarding:

*1.  Last Call for the Grad Experience Survey
2.  Call for abstracts: GSA Grad Research Conference
3.  GSA Elections for the 2008-2009 School Year!
**4.  GSA Conference, Consilience: Call for Volunteers
5.  WASC wants to hear from you!!! Thursday March 13th, 2008
6.  GSA Research Awards
7.  It's Raining Debt-Sign a Postcard to the Legislature's Budget
Subcommittees Chairs!
8.  Grad and Professional Students Testimonials about Financial Aid-Fill out
one Today!
**9.  UC, CSU, CCC Sustainability Conference@ CalPoly **San Luis Obispo**
10.  Building a Grassroots Coalition between UC Students and the UC Office
of the President (UCOP)
11.  Call for Grad Student Art
*

Please read below for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------* *

*1.  **Last Call for the Grad Experience Survey *

The GSA wants to know about your graduate student experience here at UCR, so
we've created a survey.  Please check your UCR email for the link to the
survey (from gsaucr at gmail.com).  Fill it out by *March 14th, 2008** *and
you'll be entered in a drawing to *win a free ipod shuffle or external hard
drive* … its your choice!  Questions/comments can be sent to
gsaucr at gmail.com.

*2.  Call for abstracts: GSA Grad Research Conference  *

The GSA is currently conducting a call for abstracts for our annual research
conference. This year's conference is tentatively scheduled for Saturday,
June 7, 2008. This year's keynote speaker will be UCR Associate Professor of
Biology, Cheryl Hayashi. We are currently accepting abstracts for both
poster presentation and talks. Please submit your abstract to the following
e-mail address: UCRGSAResearchConference at gmail.com

*3.  GSA Elections for the 2008-2009 School Year!*

Want to be more involved with GSAUCR? Run for office! GSA Elections are
coming up, and we want YOU to run! The 6 elected officers in GSA are
President, Executive Vice President, Vice President of Academic Affairs,
Public Relations Officer, Health Insurance Committee Chairperson and Finance
Officer. For more information about each position and for an application
form please visit the GSA Website at http://gsa.ucr.edu/
<https://webmail.ucr.edu/wm/mail/fetch.html?urlid=g1f9841a4b506cbf97a4796c1460e4ccc8khp2h7k0l&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgsa.ucr.edu%2F>

To apply for candidacy, please fill out an application
form<http://www.gsa.ucr.edu/documents/candidate_intention_form_002.doc>and
email it to
gsaelection at yahoo.com by the March 31st, 2008 deadline. If you have any
questions, please contact the GSA EVP Louise Hendrickson at
evp.gsaucr at yahoo.com.

Important Election Dates:

March 31st 5pm: Deadline to submit an application for Candidacy
April 9th: Council Meeting for Candidate Speeches
Elections Run April 14th 8am to April 18th 5pm

**

*4.  GSA Conference, Consilience: Call for Volunteers*

Our annual GSA conference chair, Vanessa Miller, is looking for volunteers.
Sign up as we strive to make it the biggest conference in GSA's history.
For more information contact: gsaucr at ucr.edu

*5.  WASC wants to hear from you!!! Thursday March 13th, 2008*

The Western Association for Schools and Colleges (WASC) is an organization
that provides accreditation to higher education institutions in California
and Hawaii.  UCR is undergoing this accreditation process.  The WASC
visiting team has requested to meet with students in a forum on Thursday
March 13th 2008 from 12:30pm-1pm in Commons 260.  Please come by and share
your experience as a student here at UCR.

***6.  GSA Research Awards*

Applications for the GSA Research Awards will be available next week.  In
addition to the application form, you will be asked to provide an abstract
of your work and two support letters from the faculty.  We will provide you
with an application once we receive and review your abstract.

*7.  It's Raining Debt-Sign a Postcard to the Legislature's Budget
Subcommittees Chairs!*

The Governor's proposed budget cuts $332 million from the UC system, which
translates into fee hikes upwards of 30% and possible enrollment halts.  If
the state continues to divest from higher education, students are in for
floods of debt!  Tell the Budget Subcommittee to STOP THE RAIN!!!  You can
sign a postcard at a GSA event, at the GSA office or online at the GSA
website:  http://www.gsa.ucr.edu/UCSA.html
<https://webmail.ucr.edu/wm/mail/fetch.html?urlid=g1f9841a4b506cbf97a4796c1460e4ccc8khp2h7k0l&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgsa.ucr.edu%2F>
 & GSA will send it to the legislature for you!  Tell your grad and
professional student friends!

For more information please contact the GSA Campus Organizing Director
Ching-In Chen at echen014 at student.ucr.edu

**

*8.  Grad and Professional Students Testimonials about Financial Aid-Fill
out one Today!*

*
*Are you a grad student greatly impacted by student debt?  Do you pay your
own fees or take out loans to pay for grad school?  Do you care about your
financial aid package is administered?  GSA is collecting surveys from grad
and professional students about how they would prefer their financial aid
packages to be administered!  Fill out a loan testimonial at a GSA event, at
the GSA office or online at the GSA website:
http://www.gsa.ucr.edu/UCSA.html  Make sure your voice and your experience
is heard!

For more information please contact the GSA Campus Organizing Director
Ching-In Chen at echen014 at student.ucr.edu
**

* *

*9.  UC, CSU, CCC Sustainability Conference@ CalPoly **San Luis Obispo** ***

Have you been working to make your campus environmentally or socially
sustainable? We would like to hear your story!

The Seventh Annual UC, CSU, CCC Sustainability Conference at CalPoly San
Luis Obispo is looking for student leaders who are reducing their campuses
and their own environmental impact and working towards a more
environmentally, socially and economically equitable world.

Deadlines:
Poster proposals due June 1, 2008.
Registration opens in March 2008.
Conference dates July 31-Aug 3, 2008.

For more information, visit the GSA Website at
http://www.gsa.ucr.edu/UCSA.html or visit the conference website at:
http://sustainability.calpoly.edu and click on the Call for Proposals

*10.  Building a Grassroots Coalition between UC Students and the UC Office
of the President (UCOP)*

UCOP recently met with UC Students in an effort to build a grassroots
coalition and to establish more lines of communication between UC students
and UCOP.  UCOP wants to register as many students as possible at
www.ucforcalifornia.org. Please sign up, so you can let UCOP know what
issues are of importance to you, how you feel about rising fees, and
anything else you want them to know about. Pass the link on to your friends,
parents, and fellow students.  In addition, as more students get involved, a
blog will be created so that students can comment directly to UCOP about how
they feel regarding rising tuition costs, etc.  There is also a Facebook
page…so again…sign up!

www.ucforcalifornia.org
http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6756592601
www.universityofcalifornia.edu/advocacy

*11.  Call for Grad Student Art*

If you are a musician, have a demo tape/CD that you would like to have
featured in our lounge……If you are a writer and would like to display your
work on our poet's block or story wall….If you have paintings, that you
would like featured in our art gallery…..Please contact Alex Cortez:
gsaucr at ucr.edu

If you would like more information, please go to the GSA website or contact
the GSA at gsaucr at yahoo.com.

Graduate Student Association
203 Commons
University of California Riverside