[Gsaucr] Newsletter

GSA Public Relations gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:30:36 PST 2008

* *

Dear Grads,
In this week's newsletter, you will find information concerning:

*1. GSA Conference Chair, **Applications due this Friday
2.  AAO Graduate School of Education, **Applications due this Friday
3.  UCR Men's Basketball "Pack the House", **Saturday February 2nd -FREE
tickets for Grads
4.  GSA Conference Travel Grant update and March conference application
deadline: February 1st
5.  UCSA Student Lobby Conference March 1st-3rd, 2008 Sacramento
6.  "Super Tuesday" Political Forum, **TODAY January 30, 2008
7.  HEAT Update on Tickets
8.  Student Regent Visit, Friday February 8th
9.  UC Student Regent applications are due by **February 21st 2008
10.  Financial Aid Testimonials
11.  Call for Grad Student Art*

***
*Please read below for more information!
*
*------------------------------------------------------------

 *1. GSA Conference Chair, **Applications due this Friday*

Apply to be the Chairperson for our 3rd Annual GSA Conference.  This year's
interdisciplinary conference will be held in the Spring and will feature
graduate student talks, posters and performances.  This is a paid position.
Interested parties please send a cover letter and resume or CV by *February
1st 2008* to Alex Cortez: gsaucr at ucr.edu

*2.  AAO Graduate School of Education, **Applications due this Friday*

If you are a graduate student (teaching credential, masters or PhD) at the
Graduate School of Education, we need you.  There is an opening as an
Academic Affairs Officer, please send your resume or CV and a cover letter
by *February 1st 2008* to Alex Cortez: gsaucr at ucr.edu

*3.  UCR Men's Basketball "Pack the House", **Saturday February 2nd*

GSA has *50 FREE* tickets to Saturday's Men's BBall game against Cal Poly.  The
game takes place at 2:00 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center (SRC), the
event will feature food and other giveaways and will be televised….To get
your hands on these limited tickets email gsaucr at ucr.edu with the subject
line "Pack the House" hurry, first come first serve…

*4.  GSA Conference Travel Grant update and March conference application
deadline: February 1st*

   1. After our monthly committee meeting, the caps for attendees were
   raised effective for January conferences from $75 to $100.  The new caps are
   found at www.gsa.ucr.edu/travelgrant.
   2. We currently have two openings on the Conference Travel Grant
   Committee.  I am looking for one committee member from CHASS and one from
   any college.  If you are interested in serving on the committee, please
   contact me at gsagrant at yahoo.com, and we can meet to determine your
   interest in helping to set policy for the largest funded program in GSA.
   3. If you are attending a conference that ends in March and would like
   support from the program, please submit the initial application form no
   later than Friday, February 1st.  If you have any questions about the
   application, please refer to the website or contact me at
   gsagrant at yahoo.com or visit during my office hours (T 1-2pm, Th
   11-12am).  We still have a large amount of funding available, so I encourage
   you to apply and tell others to apply as well.

*5.  UCSA Student Lobby Conference March 1st-3rd, 2008 Sacramento*

We need your help with this year's UC Student's Association Student Lobby
Conference. The UCSA Student Lobby Conference gives graduate students the
opportunity to tell their state representatives in Sacramento about the
higher education issues that matter to us. Also, if you are unfamiliar with
the state budgeting process and where the UC gets its money from, this is
also an exciting way to learn about the process, as well as the higher
education issues that affect us all. The conference will be held on Saturday
and Sunday to prepare UC students to meet with CA State Legislators on
Monday March 3rd. Please consider filling out an application on the GSA
webpage (and returning it by February 7th). If you have any questions about
any of this, please contact our Legislative Liaison, Gary Coyne, at
UCRsociologyTA at gmail.com

*6.  "Super Tuesday" Political Forum, **TODAY January 30, 2008*

The "Educate Your Vote" Coalition and the National Alliance for Human Rights
will hold a political forum at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30 in the University
Lecture Hall to educate students and community* *members on vital issues
related to the democratic presidential candidates.  *GSA is a NONPARTISAN
organization and is not involved in the planning of this event.*

* 7.  HEAT Update on Tickets*

*400 FREE* tickets will be available for distribution on *Wednesday February
13th.*  They will go fast, so mark your calendar, the location and time will
be announced soon.  Can you afford the "heartbreak" of not getting a FREE
ticket a day before Valentine's?

* 8.  Student Regent Visit, Friday February 8th*

The UC Student Regent, Ben Allen and the Student Regent Designate, DArtagnan
Scorza will be on campus Friday evening* February 8th 2008* and are excited
to hear from you!!  To RSVP, please contact Alex Cortez: gsaucr at ucr.edu

*9.  UC Student Regent applications are due by **February 21st 2008*

Apply to be the student regent.  Being Student Regent it is a two-year
commitment where the first year is served as "Regent-Designate" and the
second as a voting member to the Board of Regents. For more information go
to: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/studentreg.html

If you wish to apply, simply fill out an application at the GSA office or
electronically at the link provided above.  Applications are due by *February
21st 2008*.

*10.  Financial Aid Testimonials*

Do you receive financial aid? UCSA is working on getting better financial
aid for all UC students, including a system-wide financial policy that
provides all UC students the best financial package possible, and year round
financial aid for graduate students. We need your personal stories to
illustrate the lacking in financial aid to keep with the rapidly rising
costs of attending UCR. For more information please contact the GSA Campus
Organizing Director Ching-In Chen at echen014 at student.ucr.edu

*11.  Call for Grad Student Art*

If you are a musician, have a demo tape/CD that you would like to have
featured in our lounge……If you are a writer and would like to display your
work on our poet's block or story wall….If you have paintings, that you
would like featured in our art gallery…..Please contact Alex Cortez:
gsaucr at ucr.edu

If you would like more information, please go to the GSA website or contact
the GSA at gsaucr at yahoo.com.

Graduate Student Association
203 Commons
University of California Riverside