[Gradstudents] Opportunities & Announcements

Heather A Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 11 15:00:55 PST 2024

EDUC 267: Introduction to Implementation Science and Practice: Reducing the Research to Practice Gap in Schools

Dr. Stephanie Moore is teaching EDUC 267 this quarter (Winter 2024) on Wednesdays from 4-7pm. Dr. Moore is extending an invitation to all SOE graduate students to consider signing up. Please find the attached flyer for details on the course. You are encouraged to reach out to Dr. Moore should you have questions about the content and/or fit: stephanie.moore at ucr.edu<mailto:stephanie.moore at ucr.edu>

________________________________
Dedoose Office Hours

Dr. Sara Grummert is available for monthly office hours to assist with Dedoose questions. You can access them here<https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwkceyppjwjGtdGX6ef7CWwEa-xFuoOfk-a#/registration>.

What is Dedoose? It is qualitative and mixed methods software that is cloud-based and can be accessed from a PC or Mac. To take advantage of this free opportunity, please see the attached flyer for sign-up instructions (page 2).

Note: if you are using a university device, utilize the portable version. Accounts will remain active until graduation/separation.

________________________________
Call for Applicants: Latino Social Science Predoctoral Fellowship

The Latinx Social Science Pipeline Initiative<https://lsspi.berkeley.edu/home> (LSSPI) at UC Berkeley is pleased to announce the Latino Social Science Predoctoral Fellowship<https://lsspi.berkeley.edu/programs/predoctoral-fellowships> program. This fellowship is designed to support outstanding doctoral candidates in their final stages of dissertation research with a focus on Latinx social issues. The program aims to provide resources and an intellectually stimulating environment to help candidates complete their research and advance their academic careers. Two fellows will be selected through a national competition and given a one-year living expense stipend of $42,500. The selected students are expected to file their Ph.D. after completing their fellowship. The program will be limited to US-based scholars.

Deadline: February 1, 2024. Read more here: https://lsspi.berkeley.edu/programs/predoctoral-fellowships
________________________________

Library Services Workshops - Winter 2024

The UCR Library has scheduled workshops for the Winter 2024 Quarter. Attached is a flyer of the workshops that the Research Services department has planned for your use.

WORKSHOPS- Winter 2024

 Title and Date

Description

Using Pivot to Find Funding Opportunities<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/using-pivot-to-find-funding-opportunities-tickets-791287531307>

Friday, January 26th from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Pivot is a service that allows faculty, staff, and students to identify funding opportunities. In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn the basics of Pivot, search for funding opportunities, set up alerts, establish their profile, and search for collaborators.  Participants should bring their laptop.

Fusion 360 for Beginners<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fusion-360-for-beginners-tickets-791596435247>
Robotics Lab Series
Wednesday, January 31st from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Come join us for this workshop where you will learn the basics of using Fusion 360, a parametric 3D modeling software used by many professionals in many different fields. In this workshop we will show you how to bring in previously made components in order to build a 3D model around them. We will also cover basic navigation and functions in the software.

Aerial Photo Interpretation Project Planning<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aerial-photo-interpretation-project-planning-tickets-791525332577>

Geospatial Series
Tuesday, February 6th from 2 p.m. to 1 p.m.

If you or your team will be extracting information from aerial imagery using photo interpretation techniques, it's important to consider the decisions such projects entail before you dive in. This workshop will cover topics including: types and sources of imagery, using a GIS to map, classification decisions, and quality assurance. Learn about the technical and managerial considerations that will help your mapping project proceed smoothly to creating a high-quality product!

Light up the Sign! DIY Neon Sign Workshop Series<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/light-up-the-sign-diy-neon-sign-workshop-series-tickets-791516496147>

Creat'R Lab Series

Wednesday, February 7th and 21st from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and February 28th from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Have you ever wanted to make a Neon Sign but do not have experience with glass making? Well today is your lucky day! This workshop will meet 3 times to design, print and create DIY neon signs with LED's! Capacity for this workshop is limited, so please RSVP as soon as you can! *Seats are first come first serve* *Different workshop sessions will be offered while supplies last*

 UC Love Data Week Series

To Scan or Not to Scan: Construct 3D Objects with Photogrammetry<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/to-scan-or-not-to-scan-construct-3d-objects-with-photogrammetry-tickets-791560367367>

Monday, February 12th from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

In this hands-on hybrid workshop, learners will explore the relationships within data clouds and images to build and render 3D images. What does that really mean? That we'll take lots of photos of an object to create 3D image data. We will step through capturing images using openly available software with a smartphone or tablet.  We will also discuss what contributes to successful 3D scanning, and touch on different techniques currently used.  Choose your favorite object (about 1 foot or 12 inches in height) to practice with during this hands-on workshop.

3D Data and Images<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/3d-data-and-images-tickets-791572032257>

Wednesday, February 14th from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

>From virtual reality and animation to cultural research and preservation, thanks to advancing technologies, 3D data and imaging has expanded in accessibility and application integration. In this workshop, we will cover the basics of 3D data and imaging: different types, and where to find and share files. We will list openly available software used to modify 3D image data files, and describe situations to use which software and hardware.

Create Your Own Layered Paper Light Box<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/create-your-own-layered-paper-light-box-tickets-791591570697>

Creat'R Lab Series

Wednesday, February 28th from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

In this workshop we will show you how to setup a file to use with the Cricut machines available to use in the Creat'R lab. Once your art is cut out we will show you how to layer and create a light box that you can use to decorate your dorm, home, or office space with. Amaze your friends and family with this easy to do DIY.

MEETUPS

The Carpentries Hacky Hours<https://hackyhours-winter24.eventbrite.com/>

Wednesdays (January 10th - March 20th) / 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Geospatial / GIS Meetups<https://gismeetups-winter24.eventbrite.com/>

2nd Tuesday of the Month (January 16, February 13, March 12) / Noon - 12:50 p.m.

Heather Killeen (she/her/hers)
Graduate Program Coordinator
School of Education
University of California, Riverside