[Gradstudents] SOE’s Statement of Solidarity with Academic Workers

GSOEDean gsoedean at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 21 17:07:54 PST 2022

The faculty in the School of Education (SOE) at UC Riverside stand in solidarity with 48,000 academic workers who have been bargaining for fair compensation, sustainable transit incentives, better support for parents and families, expanded rights for international scholars, more job security, and improved accessibility to retain disabled workers.

The faculty at SOE recognize that academic workers, including teaching assistants, postdoctoral, and graduate student researchers, are the backbone of the university system in many ways, and should be compensated fairly. Graduate students facilitate learning of all students, provide mentorship to undergraduate students, conduct cutting-edge research alongside faculty that brings in substantial funding for the UC system, and are essential to the mission of SOE, UC Riverside, and the University of California.

We recognize that the rising costs of living and working in California, including Riverside, is unsustainable for our graduate students. Many graduate students must seek other sources of employment to cover their basic needs, which presents barriers to higher education and upward mobility.

The faculty at SOE recognize that as a top research institution in the world, the UC system must be able to retain and recruit scholars from an array of backgrounds, and addressing the inequities faced by graduate academic workers is a top priority to continue to meet our mission.

The faculty at UC Riverside support our academic workers as they engage in lawful strike activities, which may include picketing, the stopping of grading, canceling sections, and a suspension of research activities. We will not engage in retaliation against anyone who participates in the strike, and we will work to protect/stand with those who might feel retaliated against. Further, we will respond to any concerns of our undergraduate students while affirming the academic workers’ right to bargain for fair compensation and job security.

The faculty at the UCR School of Education urge the university to bargain in good faith with the union so that a just and fair agreement may be reached.

For campus communications and resources regarding the UAW strike, visit:
https://insideucr.ucr.edu/announcements/2022/11/14/updates-uaw-strike