[Gradstudents] Message to SOE students

GSOEDean gsoedean at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:56:52 PST 2021

Dear SOE Students,

We are now just a little past the mid-way point of the Fall quarter.  In many ways this has been a quarter in transition.  After being away from campus for 18 months, we are slowly seeing more classes in person and more activity on campus.

This context has also brought many challenges.  Many of you are juggling online and in-person courses.  Many of you are also balancing work responsibilities with school, and many of you are caring for family members and assuming other significant responsibilities, aside from schoolwork, during this ongoing health pandemic.

As leaders of SOE, we know this is not easy and we want to remind you that no one does it alone.  As leaders of the UCR School of Education, and on behalf of the faculty, we want to emphasize that we are here for you.  We care about you.  We care about your well-being.  And of course, we are committed to your academic success.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have been committed to the principle of flexibility and we continue to encourage our faculty colleagues to do the same.  In addition, we know that our SOE staff are working tirelessly, both online and in person, to be responsive to your needs and requests.  Similarly, we want to reiterate the importance of flexibility and communication.  If you are having any specific concerns with your classes, talk to your professors.  If you need access to additional resources such as health or mental health support, please contact the respective office directly (see below) or contact your advisor to help make the connection.  As a UCR student, you have access to a host of resources and we want to encourage you to take advantage of these resources when needed.

Below are a few links and resources that may be useful for students during this time:

Academic Resource Center:<https://arc.ucr.edu/spring2020>

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) is continuing to provide students with services and support. All of ARC’s programs and services are being offered remotely this quarter.

Student Disability Resource Center:<https://sdrc.ucr.edu/current-ucr-students>

SDRC remains open via remote services including video conferences, phone, and email.

Veterans Resource Center (VRC):<https://veterans.ucr.edu/community>

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is a place created by and for UC Riverside veteran and military-affiliated students. It’s where you’ll find support, camaraderie, and understanding.

First-Generation Program:<https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2020/03/25/first-gen-virtual-chats-now-offered-twice-week?fbclid=IwAR2R6Gv1-O9tT2SayyM1rKNXTvRm-_ctZcH183VQWaVHbjGScmvycQ4iZmc>

The Office of Undergraduate Education’s first-generation program has several events and resources aimed at supporting first-generation students. Learn more on their website here.<https://firstgen.ucr.edu/about/overview>

Student Health:<https://studenthealth.ucr.edu/>

If you have any questions, or suspect you may be sick, you can contact the Student Health Services here<https://studenthealth.ucr.edu/>, or at (951) 827-3031.

Counseling Services:<https://counseling.ucr.edu/>

UCR Counseling and Psychological Resources (CAPS) offers free, confidential, and professional mental health services to our campus community. Students can also access the Therapy Assistance Online website, us.TAOconnect.org<https://us.taoconnect.org/login>, a self-guided module for students who may be struggling with common college challenges. It is completely free and confidential and can be accessed using your UCR email address.

R’Pantry:<https://basicneeds.ucr.edu/rpantry>

Any student experiencing food insecurity can access R'Pantry.

SOE Student Advising:

SOE student advisors, and faculty, continue to be reachable via email, Zoom, and some in-person meetings.

SOE Undergraduate Majors:  https://education.ucr.edu/undergraduate-education-students

SOE TEP Students: https://education.ucr.edu/tep/teacher-education-students

SOE Graduate Students: https://education.ucr.edu/graduate-students

Please take care, seek out support when needed, and use the skills and strengths that got you to this point.  We wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Louie Rodriguez

SOE Interim Dean

Eddie Comeaux

SOE Associate Dean of Graduate Programs

Begoña Echeverria

Associate Dean of Academic Personnel

Bob Ream

SOE Interim Associate Dean Undergraduate Programs

Sally Tavizon

SOE Assistant Dean and CFAO

Frances Valdovinos

SOE Interim Assistant Dean and Director of Teacher Education Program