[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 25 09:15:56 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,

Our next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be on Thursday, May 9 from 12:00-12:50 pm.

The meetup will be held in Rivera Library, Room 140 and on Zoom. It will be recorded.
(To find Rivera 140: turn right after entering Rivera Library. Keep walking until you pass the elevators. Room 140 is on the corner of the hallway you’ll see to your left.)

We are fortunate to have two (2) presentations this time! Tony H. Grubesic1 and Edward Helderop2 will each speak about a project from UCR's Center for Geospatial Sciences.

Dr. Grubesic's talk is titled Unmasking Invisible Infrastructure Networks with UAVs.

Visual clues for subsurface infrastructure systems include features such as manhole covers or broadband boxes, yet the subsurface networks remain hidden. Using high-resolution digital orthophotography from unmanned aerial vehicles, combined with tactical fieldwork to identify locator marks and their associated subsurface systems, we can track/monitor urban infrastructure projects without accessing the municipal permit system or interfacing with public/private infrastructure providers. The use of UAV technologies has implications for anticipating neighborhood disruptions and potential long-term disamenities for residents.

Dr. Helderop will address Higher elevation and higher prices: A model predicting climate gentrification in coastal Florida.

In higher elevation urban areas in coastal Florida, real estate prices and development are both rising at a faster rate than in their lower elevation counterparts, and commercial markers of gentrification in these neighborhoods are increasing. This process pushes lower-income, long-term residents of these gentrifying neighborhoods to areas with higher climate risk exposure. Using a variety of data sources, we develop a model that measures the rate of gentrification of neighborhoods throughout Florida’s coastal cities. When combined with future flood regime modeling due to sea level rise and storm surge, we can predict areas likely to experience near-future climate gentrification. We truth the model using hindcasting and conclude with recommendations for policymakers and urban planners.

1Director, Center for Geospatial Sciences
School of Public Policy
University of California at Riverside

2Associate Director, Center for Geospatial Sciences
School of Public Policy
University of California at Riverside

The meetup will start with announcements of general interest.

To register for the meetup, please send a calendar response. We also have an Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-875648326717> that will allow you to register for the May and/or June meetups.

Here’s the short version of the Zoom information for attending remotely:

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99789962500?pwd=Rmk5elNDQ3cybmIrUURTSVZJU0lMUT09

Meeting ID:    997 8996 2500
Passcode:       945078

Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who may be interested.

I hope you can join us!

-Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian