[Geospatial] REMINDER: Geospatial/GIS meetup TOMORROW, April 4

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 3 09:48:29 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,

Our first Geospatial/GIS meetup of Spring Quarter will be held tomorrow, Thursday, April 4 from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PDT, on Zoom and in Rivera Library Room 140.

(To find Rivera 140: turn right after entering Rivera Library. Keep going until you pass the elevators. Room 140 is on the corner of the hallway you'll see to your left.)

Our presenter will be UCR Anthropology graduate student Ariel Texis Munoz, who will speak on Extending Teotihuacan's Past: Ceramic Insights from Lidar-Based Surface Survey.

In this presentation, we will explore the density patterns of prehispanic ceramics in the Teotihuacan Valley in central Mexico, based on a recent Lidar map study. We integrated the collected data into a geographic information system to manage and visualize the density maps more efficiently.

Ariel is a Mexican archaeologist and a graduate student in the Anthropology Department at UC Riverside. In the last five years, Ariel has been working in the Teotihuacan Valley in Central Mexico, conducting archaeological excavations and surface surveys, and working with the Lidar map of Teotihuacan with Dr. Nawa Sugiyama, who is part of the faculty of the Anthropology department at UCR. More recently, Ariel worked with Dr. Saburo Sugiyama on the mapping with portable Lidar (SLAM) in different archaeological sites in Mexico with a team from Okayama University from Japan.

Note that the presentation relates to the research highlighted in the Winter 2024 UCR Magazine: https://news.ucr.edu/ucr-magazine/winter-2024/unearthing-the-mysteries-of-teotihuacan

The meetup will be recorded and will start with announcements, including discussion of the new vLab for accessing ArcGIS Pro (so long Apporto, hello itopia!).

Here's the Zoom information for attending remotely:

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99789962500?pwd=Rmk5elNDQ3cybmIrUURTSVZJU0lMUT09

Meeting ID:    997 8996 2500
Passcode:       945078

To register for the meetup, please send a calendar response or use Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-875648326717>.

Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who may be interested.

I hope you can join us!

Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01DA85A9.229FDBC0]