[Geospatial] REMINDER: Geospatial/GIS meetup tomorrow, December 9

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Wed Dec 8 08:47:25 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well, in the midst of finals and everything else!
Just a reminder that our last Geospatial/GIS meetup of 2021 is tomorrow, Thursday, December 9 from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PST.
At this meetup Joseph (Jay) Farago-Spencer will lead a discussion on possible ways of using mapping platforms like Esri's in courses like English 1A, 1B, and other First Year courses. For instance, could tools like ArcGIS StoryMaps<https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-storymaps/overview> be used for multi-modal and multimedia assignments in First Year courses?

To gain a background on multimodal and multimedia approaches to teaching and learning, Jay suggests reviewing the following article:
Lauer, C. (2009). Contending with terms: "Multimodal" and "multimedia" in the academic and public spheres. Computers and Composition, 26(4), 225-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compcom.2009.09.001

Jay currently coordinates the Writing Support Program at UCR's Academic Resource Center where he has been working with undergraduate students in various disciplines assisting students in developing and refining their reading and writing strategies. He also teaches English 1 A for the Riverside Community College District at the Moreno Valley Campus.

We'll also have time for announcements and discussion.
This meeting will be recorded.
Please note: one hour before the meetup you'll receive an email containing the Zoom meeting information if by then you have either:

  *   registered on Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-169417806219>, or
  *   replied "yes" or "tentative" to the calendar invite some of you received on November 29.
No guarantees I can accommodate last-minute requests for the Zoom info! Thanks for your understanding as we take measures to keep our meetups a safe space.
I hope you can join us!
Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D7EB89.939EE530]