[Geospatial] Notes from Geospatial/GIS brown bag, August 12

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Mon Aug 17 09:05:39 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Please find notes from last Wednesday's geospatial brown bag attached. The notes contain hyperlinks to the many resources that were discussed.

A video of the meeting is available here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/y-dFBezX6jlIH9L18X-ERpwzQIjaT6a8g3IXq6UMyBqqNIbjVI0Zig0Gg1Ir0ajD>. The access password to view is    a3^doiR*

Thanks to all who attended! We had several new folks, from UCR and beyond - we're glad you stopped in, and hope to see you again.

Just a heads up: I'll be sending a few more emails than usual in the days/weeks ahead. There'll be a poll about best days for our gatherings in October - December, calls to give presentations this fall, and announcements about upcoming events of interest.

On that last note, here are some events in the near future:

  *   On Wednesday August 19 at 12:00, Esri is presenting a webinar<https://www.esri.com/en-us/landing-page/product/2020/feature-layer-best-practices-pm> about best practices for hosted feature layers where high-volume traffic is expected - based on the experiences with the Johns Hopkins University coronavirus dashboard<https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6>.
  *   I'm giving workshops on the next two Wednesdays at 2:00: Introduction to Story Maps<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/introduction-to-story-maps-tickets-110203124512> on August 19, and Introduction to GIS<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/introduction-to-gis-tickets-110204187692> on August 26.
  *   On Tuesday September 1 at 9:00, the next in the series of Esri's Lunchtime Chats on GIS Education<https://community.esri.com/community/education/blog/2020/05/27/esri-brown-bag-gis-education-chats> will be a Q&A with the ArcGIS StoryMaps Product Team. Questions can be submitted beforehand or during the event.

Our next Geospatial/GIS brown bag* will be on Wednesday, September 23.
* moving forward, we'll change out "brown bag" for another name.

Until then, stay cool and stay safe!

Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D6746F.1A339BB0]