[Entm-beu] Topic for ENTM 252: Seminar in Insect Behavior

Kerry Mauck kerry.mauck at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:38:00 PDT 2024

Dear Students,

The topic for this year’s 2-unit seminar in insect behavior (ENTM 252) for
spring quarter will be “deceptive signaling
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deception-in-the-animal-kingdom/>”
to be directed by Dr. Jocelyn Millar and myself. For this topic, we will
explore dishonesty in intraspecific and interspecific communication.
Students will choose a narrow topic for an in-depth literature synthesis,
culminating in a presentation and written summary. Any insect-related topic
dealing with the deceptive use of honest signals is fair game. Throughout
the course, students will also gain experience in reviewing manuscripts and
training in best practices for communicating science through oral and
written formats.

Towards the beginning of the quarter, we will have an organizational
meeting, at which we will get all the logistical details sorted out. Please
note that we will *not* be meeting at the time specified on Banner
(Wednesdays 4-6pm). Instead, we will select a time and location that works
for all who sign up in the class.

If you have questions, or difficulty enrolling due to residual useless
prerequisites, please email us (kerry.mauck at ucr.edu, millar at ucr.edu). BS+MS
students are also welcome to enroll (please reach out to discuss).

Thanks,

Kerry Mauck

--
*Dr. Kerry Mauck*
Associate Professor & A.M. Boyce Endowed Chair in Entomology

Pronouns: she/her

Office: Entomology 324
Lab: Entomology 320
Riverside, CA 92521
Phone: 302-242-7948
Email: kerry.mauck at ucr.edu
Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wt9IkqgAAAAJ&hl=en>
https://maucklab.ucr.edu/

UCR occupies the ancestral lands of the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and
Serrano peoples and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on
these homelands.