[Entm-beu] Safety Updates- December

Christina Hoddle christina.hoddle at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 29 08:58:27 PST 2022

Hello Entomology Dept.,

1.       CUPA INSPECTION ( Oct 11-12, 2022)
In early October we had an inspection by CUPA. Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPA), a state-authorized consolidation of six environmental and emergency response programs. CUPA inspects facilities that handle or store hazardous materials, generate hazardous and medical waste, and own or operate underground storage tanks. The last time we were inspected was 4 years ago.
Only certain labs were inspected in each Department. The main findings from the inspections across all departments:

  *   Waste not labeled
  *   Contaminated glass in the waste stream
  *   Lab trash (soiled gloves, soiled paper etc.)  mixed going into solid waste stream
  *   Open containers
  *   Proper segregation of hazardous waste materials
If you notice any of the above “violations” going on in your lab, please try and correct them immediately as it seems to be a common problem amongst all labs. The official report from CUPA will be released sometime in the next few months.

2.       MERCURY THERMOMETER TRADE IN
Recently a lab had a mercury thermometer break which caused an expensive clean-up process. The lab was not even aware the thermometers they were using were the old mercury thermometers. EHS will exchange any old Mercury thermometers for FREE. Please go through your labs and locate any mercury thermometers and exchange them at EHS ASAP.

3.       HOLIDAY BREAK
      Lastly as we move into the holiday period, I wanted to highlight some important safety information.
You may have already received this directly from EHS, but the attached document outlines the importance of safe practices if you need to come in over the holiday break.
The main points:

  *   Clear your lab procedures with PI before working in the lab during the holidays.
  *   Make sure you are competent and trained in the procedures you are doing including knowing emergency procedures (phone numbers, spill kit location, eye wash/shower procedures etc.)
  *   Have a buddy system. Someone in the lab with you  (preferable)  or that you check in with remotely.

If you have any questions regarding the information above, please let me know.
Hope you all have a safe and healthy holiday season.

Regards,
Christina Hoddle
Lab Safety Officer for Entomology (LSO)