[Entm-beu] Covid and Winter quarter 2022

Rick Redak richard.redak at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 28 17:22:09 PST 2021

All,

By now, hopefully, all of you are aware of the directive to pivot to online
status for at least the first two weeks of Winter Quarter 2022.  What does
this mean and what do you need to do?

*For Instructors and TAs:  *

All instruction will be remote. Familiarize yourself with Canvas if you are
not already.  Unless you requested Blackboard for your  classes, they have
already been migrated to Canvas.  Find your classes at elearn.ucr.edu.
Learn Canvas at https://canvas.ucr.edu/.  The learning curve is not
shallow.  I suggest you at least think about what to do if we stay online
for the entire quarter.

*For Undergraduate and Graduate Students (with respect to taking courses):*

All students must take a COVID-19 test before returning to campus, or
immediately upon their arrival, then sequester and test again five days
after arriving on campus. If you test positive before returning to campus,
do not come to campus until you have completed your home isolation period,
your symptoms have improved, and I suggest after receiving a second
negative test.  Here are the testing requirements and testing centers:
https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/testing-requirements
<https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/testing-requirements>Read the site carefully
so you know which center is yours.  The city also has sites available.  You
can find them here https://riversideca.gov/testing  As with last year, make
sure you have a decent method of accessing the internet.  My understanding
is that the libraries will  be open, *double check.  *But before you come
in, get that mandatory test prior to campus entry.

*For Graduate Students working in labs on campus (my interpretation of what
you should do.  I view you as falling in the employee category below)*
If you do not have to come in, don't. If you are working in the labs now,
get a Covid test now if possible and then take another one 5 days later.  It
might be a bit tricky as I don't think the campus facilities are open and
the drugstores seem to have run out of test kits.   If you are using an
at-home kit, you need to test twice to try and avoid false negatives (hence
the 5 days later part).  The kits come with two tests.  Test now and test
again in 5 days.  Follow the isolation protocols if you test positive.  I
suggest that you not return until you test negative.  Campus testing sites
supposedly open up on Jan 2. Here they are:
https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/testing-requirements  Here  is the link to the
city sites https://riversideca.gov/testing

*For Employees (everyone else-faculty, staff, postdocs, researchers of all
types,  your mother and her dog*)
If you do not have to come in, don't. If you are working on campus now, get
a Covid test now if possible.  It might be a bit tricky as I don't think
the campus facilities are open and the drugstores seem to have run out of
test kits.   If you are using an at-home kit, you need to test twice to try
and avoid false negatives.  The kits come with two tests.  Test now and
test again in 5 days.  Follow the isolation protocols if you test
positive.  Try
to get this done prior to or on Jan.3  Employees who return to work on
campus are also advised to test before Jan. 3 at any off-campus location or
at the employee testing site at the Pentland Hills Bear Cave Meeting Room
starting on Jan. 2.  Here are the on campus sites (scroll around to find
them):
https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/testing-requirements

*For PI and Lab Operations*

   - Masks are required anywhere indoors (the exception being if you are by
   yourself)
   - Room densities should be reduced.  Small rooms and offices, 1 person
   at a time, Large labs (like in Entomology), 2 at a time with safe
   distancing.
   - Fill out the wellness survey before coming to work
   - Use sanitizer and wash your hands.  Even though the primary route of
   infection is airborne, you can still transmit/receive to/from surfaces.
   - There is no need to abandon ship on your research projects. The campus
   is not shutting down; normal operations are continuing with the exception
   of teaching.
   - PI's please strongly encourage your people to test before coming back
   to work (see above).  If you have had people working in the lab without a
   break or going anywhere, it is still a good idea to get a test as people
   being asymptomatic seem to be very capable of transmission.
   - If you test positive and are, or have been, coming into campus, use
   the wellness survey to let the campus trackers know about it.(This  is my
   best guess as to what to  do)

*Information for employees who wish to request remote work flexibility*

https://insideucr.ucr.edu/announcements/2021/12/03/requests-remote-work-flexibility-winter-2022

*If you are not fully vaccinated and boosted (third shot), get it done.*

*Please take all  of this very seriously as we have both immunocompromised
individuals and families with kids  too young to be vaccinated.*

Questions?  Let me know and I will try and find an answer or two.

Dr. Rick Redak, Professor & Chair
Department of Entomology
University of California
Riverside, CA 92526