[Entm-beu] Safety updates- September

Christina Hoddle christina.hoddle at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 9 15:12:57 PDT 2020

Hello Entomology Dept.,

The new school year is upon us and safety during these times has become an even higher priority, especially with new students and faculty joining us.

I wanted to highlight a few things for everyone in the department:

1) COVID-19

EHS maintains a separate webpage just for Covid-19 related issues. It can be found here:

https://ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus

Many guidelines are in constant flux which just makes it confusing. I know. Check back to that site often if you have questions.  EHS is trying to streamline the new information as it comes on campus. Some recent information I’d like to put on everyone’s radar:

a) Every lab needs to make sure they have “Return to work protocols” documentation in place. EHS has templates on their website https://ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus/return . Anyone entering in the lab will have to have signed it and placed in your safety folder. This is in addition to the online safety training. Many already have this, but for those who don’t, please get it done.

b) There is talk that at some point mandatory COVID-19 testing may be implemented on campus.  There are no concrete details for this yet as to who will have to test and how often.  Be on the lookout for communication as it comes in.

2) Lab Safety Evaluation Resumption

Every lab is required to have at least an annual safety evaluation. This fell to the wayside last March and EHS had stopgap measures in place with lab walk-throughs over the summer looking for big issues. They are now going to go back to their annual audit. It will be a 2-step process that you will schedule through EHS.
Step 1- EHS personnel come and review your lab in person (no one needs to be present)
Step 2- EHS personnel schedules a zoom call with the PI or designated Safety coordinator in your lab to review safety documentation and issues.

More information will be forthcoming as audits approach.  We did ours last year in January so we may have some time for them to work out the kinks before it is our turn.

3) PPE Laundering

 PPE laundering is now going to be outsourced to a 3rd party vendor. Campus Business Services will no longer be doing it.  A few steps need to be implemented before this new vendor takes over. Location drop-offs/pick-ups for PPE will need to be established in areas that are accessible. Due to Covid rules, many areas are not. They are sorting this out. In addition, all lab coats will need to be tagged with the new vendor’s laundry tag. All new lab coat fittings will automatically have these tags but any coats in your possession that you currently launder will need to be tagged. The exact timeline of this transition is not known but if this will affect your lab, please just be aware it is happening.

4) Hazardous Waste Disposal Issues

EHS has had a few issues recently with Hazardous waste storage containers being overfilled. This includes bags as well as glass bottles. They have had gas pressure induced blow outs of bottles recently.  Luckily, no one was hurt but they wanted to remind labs to fill waste containers only 75-80% full before requesting a pick-up. DO NOT FILL BOTTLES COMPLETELY.
Waste bags have also been so filled they cannot be closed. Lastly, broken glass in the broken glass containers cannot have liquids in them. If you have broken glass with liquids, they need to in a separate waste container.

If anyone has questions about these issues, please let feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,
Christina Hoddle
Entomology Dept. Lab Safety Officer (LSO)