UWP Lecturers Text Selections for ELWR next year

lstrahan at ucr.edu lstrahan at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 18 14:45:09 PDT 2011

Tentative Text Selection for English 4 (fall 2011)

The CHASS theme for the next academic year is SUSTAINABILITY.  Our goal is to select texts that provide a context for discussion of issues related to a loose interpretation of the term “sustainability” (think - the planet, the human race, institutions, and even relationships) and allow for rich discussion of a variety of topics without presenting a single debatable argument.  We are also interested in offering a balanced list. We suspect that there is an appropriate text on the topic by a Native-American author and would appreciate your suggestions for a text in this category as well as any other comments, additions, eliminations you might want to make.

Blithedale Romance	 Nathanial Hawthorne
Midsummer Night’s Dream or The Tempest 	Willaim Shakespeare
Walden	H. D. Thoreau
Utopia		Thomas Moore
The Silent Spring	Rachel Carson
The Dispossessed	Ursula LeGuin
The Handmaid’s Tale	 Margaret Atwood
Never Let Me Go	Kazuo Ishiguro

I appreciate all of your input on this important aspect of our program.

Linda