UWP Lecturers sharon tyler

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 27 19:08:03 PDT 2010

 Thanks Deborah and John for relaying this sad and shocking news about
Sharon Tyler.

There was no one like her. I have vivid memories of Sharon in my
undergraduate American Renaissance class in 1976. She was a new graduate
student fulfilling what were then perceived as "deficiencies," which the
Graduate Committee distributed like confetti to incoming graduate students.
One new grad student, I recall, was given a deficiency in every field there
was. Sharon had only one, in nineteenth-century American literature, so
there she was in my course, brilliant and self-confident. She got a string
of A's for papers on Emerson, Melville, Thoreau, and Rebecca Harding Davis,
and an A in the course. A fellow student was Virginia Ettinger, now Virginia
Phillips, the Federal judge who recently ruled DADT unconstitutional. There
were other extraordinary students in that class, and I still remember it
vividly.

A year or two later, our colleague Ruth apRoberts distributed a devilishly
hard riddle composed by Thomas Macaulay, challenging the faculty and grad
students to solve it. The winner would be acknowledged at the annual
department party. I couldn't solve it myself. I wasn't surprised when Sharon
Tyler was announced as the only department member to come up with the right
answer.

I observed several of Sharon's composition classes over the years and
thought they were good and sometimes amazing. She ran a well-organized,
humane classroom. When the students "got" her, she could help them transform
their writing. But they had to "get" her for the magic to work.

Sharon was a remarkable, unaccountable person--stunningly intelligent and
knowledgeable, insistent on going her own way, kind to cats, good (I was
told) at predicting the outcomes of horse races. Perhaps not surprisingly,
she wrote the most distinguished essay on Thoreau in my course. They had
things in common.

She will be missed.

Affectionate regards to all,

Steve