UWP Lecturers grades

John Stamp john.stamp at ucr.edu
Sat Mar 13 12:27:34 PST 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010 11:09:20 am skay at ucr.edu wrote:
> There is no way that we can be required to turn in grades by Friday,
> at noon.  The date igrade gives is the date by which we should abide.
>  Of course, if it is convenient for you to get them in earlier, do
> so. It’s not as if we all don’t want to get our grading done as
> quickly as possible, but this is a work load issue – akin to be asked
> to speed up on a factory line.
>
> We are being asked for this speed-up because there aren’t enough
> classes being offered in the spring and the UWP administration wants
> to get ahead of the float.  If the program is so concerned about
> students and their classes, they should open up more classes.  This
> is a mess of the administration’s making, and our pedagogical
> concerns shouldn't be constrained by their administrative ones.

Yes, this does seem to be abusing our genuine goodwill to help our
students.  It's even worse for the English 4/5 instructors.  We're told
to have lecture grades ready by Wednesday the 17th.

These deadlines are getting too short.  I feel like I'm caught in a
debate with Lear's daughters: "What need one?"

John Stamp