UWP Lecturers Upcoming Science Fiction-Related Events at UC-Riverside

Rob Latham rob.latham at ucr.edu
Sun Jan 3 13:59:34 PST 2010

Upcoming Science Fiction-Related Events at UC-Riverside

The state’s budget cuts have had a devastating impact on plans to
develop a science fiction studies program here at UCR, but I do plan
to keep the torch burning through these dark times with a number of
major events slated for 2010 and early 2011.

The 32nd Annual Writers Week celebration, which runs from February
8-15, 2010, will include a colloquium on science fiction featuring
Gregory Benford, Larry Niven, and Sheila Finch, moderated by me. The
panel will take place on February 9, from 12-2 PM, in the reading room
of the Special Collections and Archives Department of the Rivera
library, with a reception following. This is believed to be the first
science fiction-themed event in the history of Writers Week,
California’s longest-running free literary festival.

The Second Annual Science Fiction Studies Symposium will be held on
May 27, 2010, from 2:30-5:00 PM in the reading room of the Special
Collections and Archives Department of the Rivera library, which
houses the J. Lloyd Eaton Collection of Science Fiction, Fantasy,
Horror, and Utopian Literature. The SF Studies Symposium brings
together three major scholars to speak on a topic of theoretical
importance to the field. (The proceedings from the first Symposium
will be published in the March 2010 issue of the journal.) The 2010
theme is “Animal Studies and Science Fiction,” and the participants
will be Sherryl Vint, Joan Gordon, and Carol McGuirk (the titles of
whose talks may be found on the spiffy flyer, designed by Sara
Stilley, attached to this email). At the reception following the
talks, we hope to be able to celebrate the launch of Professor Vint’s
new book, Animal Alterity: Science Fiction and the Question of the
Animal, due for publication in Spring 2010 by Liverpool University
Press. My thanks to the English Department’s lecture committee for
their support in helping me mount this event.

Finally, the 30th Annual Eaton Conference, on the topic of “Global
Science Fiction,” will be held in Riverside on February 11-13, 2011.
The conference committee—consisting of me, Mark Bould (University of
the West of England), Melissa Conway (Head, UCR Special Collections
and Archives), Pawel Frelik (Marie Curie-Sklodowska University,
Poland), M. Elizabeth Ginway (University of Florida), Howard Hendrix
(CSU-Fresno), George Slusser (Eaton Curator Emeritus), Takayuki
Tatsumi (Keio University, Tokyo), and Sherryl Vint (Brock University,
Ontario)—is in the process of drafting a Call for Papers that will be
circulated and posted by February 1, with a likely submission date for
paper abstracts of June or July 2010. The CFP should also include
information about attending writers, including the Guest of Honor, who
will receive the Third J. Lloyd Eaton Award for Lifetime Achievement
in Science Fiction—the first two having been bestowed on Ray Bradbury
and Frederik Pohl. UCR Professor of Creative Writing Mike Davis, whose
many works have explored links between social history and popular
culture, has agreed to give the keynote address. The new Science
Fiction and Fantasy Translation Awards will also be debuting at the
conference (see the award homepage at <http://www.sfftawards.org/> for
more information).The conference will be held, for the first time
ever, at the historic Mission Inn hotel.
These events, and others still in the planning stages, will affirm
UCR’s reputation as an international center of science fiction
scholarship, even amidst the draconian budget cuts and general
malaise. I hope you can join us for some or all of them!

Rob Latham