UWP Lecturers plagiarism vs. sampling/mixing?

mattmur at ucr.edu mattmur at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 12 08:45:20 PST 2010

Hey Folks,

I am fascinated by the future of intertextuality, and my eye caught an interesting article in the NY Times today about the German novel _Axolotl Roadkill_. Author, Helene Hegemann, has been accused of plagiarism in the novel. The author claims she is working like a DJ, and is free to use whatever information she pleases. She defends her decision to not openly acknowledge her sources.

Is it time to rethink traditional notions of "ownership," in the "information age"? Will the notion of plagiarism eventually become extinct? Will "ownership" of information be dismissed as egotism? Of course, I'm sure Hegemann DOES want to keep the royalties on her novel...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/world/europe/12germany.html?hp

-Matt Murray