UWP Lecturers Fwd: A favor

Rise Axelrod rise.axelrod at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 27 11:56:40 PDT 2009

From: Rise Axelrod <rise.axelrod at ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Subject: A favor
To: englecturers at listproc.ucr.edu

Hi,

I know we're already in Week 5, and those of you who are teaching English 1A
are about to assign the "Explaining Opposing Positions" chapter of the S*t.
Martin's Guide to Writing 8e*. I am writing to ask if any of you would be
willing instead to teach the new -- and I think, much improved -- version of
the chapter that I wrote after consultation with some of you. The new
chapter is called "Finding Common Ground," and I think it has a clearer
purpose and focus than the Opposing Positions chapter has. I also think the
example essays -- all written by students -- work better than those in the
8th edition. I've attached the pdf of the new chapter from the 9th edition
of the Guide that will be published this winter.

The reason I am asking you to teach the new chapter is that I am hoping to
find several good student essays I can publish in the new editions of *Reading
Critically, Writing Well *and Sticks and Stones, a collection of student
essays.

There are two caveats:

1. I cannot supply color printouts of the new "Finding Common Ground"
chapter, only the pdf which we can post online for students to use.

2. I need student essays on a broad array of debate topics -- not just the
ones printed in the book. I'll be happy to help you find and post debates
for your students to select as topics for their essays.

If you are interested in teaching the new "Finding Common Ground" chapter,
please let me know asap.

Sincerely,
Rise

Rise B. Axelrod
McSweeney Professor of Rhetoric and  Teaching Excellence
Director of Composition
Department of English
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521