UWP Lecturers English 1C - Sita Sings the Blues?

Gray Scott gray.scott at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 25 21:27:39 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm not teaching 1C this term. (I'll be teaching 1SC.) But after recently watching the 2008 renegade, animated film Sita Sings the Blues, I cannot help but think it would be a rather rich subject for 1C analysis (whether the approaches are intertextual, semiotic, feminist or oriented toward film or story structure -- pretty much anything we talk about). I think it might be very fruitfully paired with many of the readings in Text Book, for instance. Since the film is short, recent, critically acclaimed, unfamiliar to most students, and can now be viewed online, it occurs to me that someone out there might be thinking about having students analyze it. If you are, I'd love to hear how it goes. If you weren't originally considering it, but decide you like the idea, feel free to run with it.

- Gray