UWP Lecturers Safe Assign

Gray Scott gray at scotts.net
Mon Mar 23 10:49:37 PDT 2009

Mary,

I usually file 10-15 academic integrity cases per quarter when teaching 1A and 1B (though fewer with 1C).

This quarter, I have 12 again, teaching 1B, so from my numbers things are about the same. (Of course, it's possible that I'm blurry eyed enough this term that I'm missing the spike.)

However, the dishonest students this term seem lazier. They're more inclined to recycle papers they wrote for previous classes. For instance, in previous terms, it was unusual for me to have even 1 recycle attempt per term. This quarter I've had three. Due to Safe Assignments, those are fairly easy to catch, so it might be safe to say they're easier to nab this term than in previous terms. For that, at least, I'm grateful.

Oh, I will comment on one other apparent trend: Starting last year, they've seemed more inclined to fight (even against clear-cut evidence), more likely to freak out, and more likely to call their parents. This term I've had one who threatened suicide during conference, and one who called her father, a lawyer. Last year, I had an international student fight all the way to the very bitter end, through the whole SJA process. Up to that point, I'd had a 100% confession rate, without any Jack Bauer moves required. I'm still sort of bummed about losing that. I suspect that part of what's going on might be that students may be becoming more open with each other about a lot of things, and thus more inclined to discuss their plagiarizing with buddies, so that when I confront someone, he's sitting there thinking, "Hell, everyone else does it. Why is Mr. Scott picking on me?" If they tend to think of their actions as typical, they might be more inclined to fight. Something like that.

I'd love to hear from other instructors about what they're seeing, by the way. We can't share details (student privacy), but certainly the patterns can be illuminating.

- Gray