UWP Lecturers Summer BW Sample Prompts

James J Condon jjcondon at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:25:43 PDT 2009

  Hello all,

      While the vast majority of you are undoubtedly lounging around some lovely body of water, clutching a drink with a miniature umbrella in it, some are instead preparing to teach basic writing this summer. For those select few, I come bearing gifts. No, I'm not offering to take your place while you still get the pay. Rather, I'm attaching a number of sample essay prompts based on the Poe collection your class will be using. All follow the basic writing format you've grown to love, but I've varied their scope a bit: the first two are broader questions that could pull in a number of Poe's short stories, two are story specific, and the final one draws from both Poe's work and the Frank Langella (of Frost/Nixon fame) piece in the new edition of Write It: Review.
    These are simply meant to offer a sample of potential prompts for those anxious about crafting their own. Feel free to borrow, adapt, or discard them as you please. Alternately, if you've taught Poe before in a basic writing class and have a prompt you'd like to share, one that has endured the purgatorial flames of actual classroom use, please feel free to share it on the listservs or send it my way.
    Either way, have a successful Summer Session, and an even better summer.

       cheers,

Jim Condon
TA Assistant Director, Basic Writing
University Writing Program

Bing™  brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place.   Try it now.