UWP Lecturers [Gsa-english] 1B offerings for undergrads

Gray Scott gray at scotts.net
Tue Dec 1 23:17:40 PST 2009

Megan,

One of my hard-core, motivated, force-to-be-reckoned-with students went and obtained 100 signatures from other freshman in the same situation you're describing and hand-delivered the signed letter to the Chancellor's office last week.

Her letter was very polite, but contained an interesting warning: If freshmen can't get the classes they need, and can't take many classes that remain (due to prerequisites), it starts to make a lot of sense for them to go on academic leave, save money during winter and spring quarters, and then use the money they saved to pay for summer school, when the classes they need are more likely to be offered and instructors are more likely to be available. They're permitted to request leave for up to a year, and can re-enroll without having to reapply. If a lot of students decide to do this, the financial hit could be larger than administrators are anticipating.

Thought I'd share that tidbit.

- Gray