[Englecturers] tomorrow: Talk by Josh Kun

Traise Yamamoto traise.yamamoto at ucr.edu
Wed May 7 15:57:30 PDT 2008

Hello: Since I haven't seen any flyers or announcements, I just wanted
to let everyone know that Josh Kun will be giving a talk here tomorrow
(Thursday).

Thursday, May 8, 2008
   4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Location: Humanities & Social Sciences Building 1500
   Parking Information

Category: Lecture
The Land of Liberty: Tijuana, Black Los Angeles, and the Borders of Race

A talk that spans jazz, blues, and hip hop to look at the impact of
African-American music and culture on Tijuana, Mexico and the impact
of Tijuana, Mexico on the music and culture of African-America.

Josh Kun is Associate Professor in the Annenberg School of
Communication and the Department of American Studies and Ethnicity at
USC, where he directs The Popular Music Project at The Norman Lear
Center. He was a professor of English at UC Riverside from 1999-2006.
He is the author of Audiotopia: Music, Race, and America (UC Press,
2005) which won a 2006 American Book Award and is the co-author of And
You Shall Know Us By The Trail Of Our Vinyl: The Jewish Past As Told
By The Records We've Loved and Lost (forthcoming this fall from Random
House). He is a contributor to The New York Times, The Los Angeles
Times, Los Angeles magazine, and Tu Ciudad Los Angeles and is co-
editor of the Refiguring American Music book series for Duke
University Press. He is currently finishing a book on the cross-border
cultures of Tijuana, Mexico, from which this talk is drawn.
Open to: Public
Admission: Free
Sponsor: Center for Ideas & Society

Contact Information: