[Englecturers] Course Reader Questions

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 11:00:04 PDT 2008

Ben, I'm using many of the same readings that I have used in the past. I
don't know whether the Rivera Reserve Desk keeps track of such things,
but their site does specify that you can't put the same materials on
reserve over and over unless you try to get copyright permission. And
last time I taught 1C (last year), I was specifically told that I
couldn't put the same stuff on reserve over and over without getting
permission. I told them the truth--that I didn't realize that (yes, I'm
an ignoramus! pity me!), and they let me go ahead. Perhaps they sought
copyright permission on some of the items. But how easy is it to get
permission like this? I don't know--the whole system seems rather arcane
to me.

Some of the works that I want to assign are absolutely available online
in various places. Some of them aren't. I suppose I could provide links
to electronic texts whenever possible, and then do e-Reserves for
whatever is left over, assuming that copyright won't be a problem.

I guess I have two major problems with doing things that way. First, a
lot of students tend not to print out the sources, so they don't bring
them to class. I know that students are trying to economize, but it's
maddening to try to run a discussion about something when the students
don't have the text right in front of them. I was hoping that less
economizing would occur if I used a course reader. Perhaps I am incorrect.

Second, it really is nice to have all of the readings in one place
instead of in bits and pieces.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I still have no idea what I am going to
do, though...

Benedict